Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Changes to function of Helix Looper in 2.82 firmware?

Cingaro

Apologies if this issue has been discussed elsewhere.

I have been using the helix looper alongside a Boss Rc 3 looper (which allows you to save and store recorded loops).

So this has allowed me to build a loop on the helix from various presets, stop the loop, change preset, switch to the rc3 to play a pre-recorded loop and then return to my helix constructed loop and add to it further. In this way I've been able to construct ideas in a live situation with a little more structure and variety.

A recent issue with footswitch 8 malfunctioning (the switch controlling record and overdub in looper mode) meant I had to send the helix off for repair. I took the opportunity to download version 2.82 (previously it was operating 2.0 I think) and well as performing a back up.

Since getting the machine back I've noticed I now have the option of a 1 switch looper as well as the 6 switch version I am used to. 

Unfortunately I am also finding that when I now build a loop as described above, stop it..then move to a different preset (even though it contains the same looper model on the same signal path) and try to return to the looper and activate play again(footswitch 9) nothing happens! I can stop and restart the loop in the same preset though so it doesn't seem to be an intermittently triggering footswitch problem.  It appears to be a change in function since downloading the updated firmware , or as a result of something occurring in the repair shop? 

Can anyway shed any light on this issue?

I was working with someone just yesterday on this problem. Since I never use the Helix looper, I was baffled that a guy in a YT video could do that (stop, change presets, play) but we couldn't. You seem to have narrowed it down to the addition of the 1 switch looper.

You'd be providing a service to the community if you were to contact support and see what they say about it, then report back here.

Thank you.

Not sure whether

On 11/14/2019 at 11:24 AM, Cingaro said:

Apologies if this issue has been discussed elsewhere.

I have been using the helix looper alongside a Boss Rc 3 looper (which allows you to save and store recorded loops).

So this has allowed me to build a loop on the helix from various presets, stop the loop, change preset, switch to the rc3 to play a pre-recorded loop and then return to my helix constructed loop and add to it further. In this way I've been able to construct ideas in a live situation with a little more structure and variety.

A recent issue with footswitch 8 malfunctioning (the switch controlling record and overdub in looper mode) meant I had to send the helix off for repair. I took the opportunity to download version 2.82 (previously it was operating 2.0 I think) and well as performing a back up.

Since getting the machine back I've noticed I now have the option of a 1 switch looper as well as the 6 switch version I am used to. 

Unfortunately I am also finding that when I now build a loop as described above, stop it..then move to a different preset (even though it contains the same looper model on the same signal path) and try to return to the looper and activate play again(footswitch 9) nothing happens! I can stop and restart the loop in the same preset though so it doesn't seem to be an intermittently triggering footswitch problem.  It appears to be a change in function since downloading the updated firmware , or as a result of something occurring in the repair shop? 

Can anyway shed any light on this issue?

Think I am seeing the same thing you are on firmware 2.82. This may be as designed even if it is not operating the same way as earlier firmware versions. Don't remember how this was working in earlier versions to be honest.

Let me ask, are we talking about the 1Switch or 6Switch version of the looper here? I think the next paragraph describes the behavior in both.

The looper's loop is not persistent if you stop it before leaving the preset. As long as you are in  preset "A" for example, you can start and stop the loop to your heart's content. Leave preset "A" with it stopped and that loop is gone! You cannot restart it from the preset you switch to nor is it there when you return to preset "A".  However, if you leave the loop playing when switching presets it is persistent. You can switch to another preset and it will still be playing, can be started and stopped from the preset you switched to, and will also be available when you return to the preset you started the loop in -- as long as it is playing when you switch back.

I guess the overriding principle is switch away from any preset with your recorded loop stopped and you lose it; leave it playing while switching presets and you can control it(start/stop,undo, change 'Playback' volume parameter, etc.) across presets.

Noticed another unrelated difference between the two loopers while I was testing this. Probably also as designed but maybe worth mentioning. I have my bottom row of switches set to stomp and the top row to snapshots. When I use the 1Switch looper and hit my bank switch it retains my snap/stomp setting for the top and bottom row of switches. However, when I engage the 6Switch looper while it is playing, if I hit my bank switch, both rows of switches, top and bottom, display presets. I don't think this is a bug, more how engaging the 6Switch looper interacts with the different modes activated by the Mode switch. Probably due to the fact that there is that extra switch click required when you select the 6Switch looper to bring up the six looper switches; unlike the 1Switch looper which engages immediately when you select it. Behavior may vary depending on your global settings.

2 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

The looper's loop is not persistent if you stop it before leaving the preset. As long as you are in  preset "A" for example, you can start and stop the loop to your hearts content. Leave preset "A" with it stopped and that loop is gone! You cannot restart it from the preset you switch to nor is it there when you return to preset "A".  However, if you leave the loop playing when switching presets it is persistent. You can switch to another preset and it will still be playing, can be started and stopped from the preset you switched to, and will also be available when you return to the preset you started the loop in -- as long as it is playing when you switch back.

This isn't my experience. I can't even tell what my experience is because as soon as you start switching presets, the looper behaviour starts to become erratic. IOW, there's non-reliably-reproduceable yet often reoccuring issues.

When creating presets, I always slap a looper into the very first position of the pedal chain. Now, when I record something, I can usally switch to other presets using the same layout just fine. The loop will stay intact, regardless whether I stopped it before switching presets or not. But then, this isn't a "just works" thing, hence me using the word "usually". I also had it that the loop was just gone. Which, btw, is contrary to what the manual says. And I also had it that when switching presets with the loop playing, the loopers switches simply became dysfunctional, there was no way to stop the loop others than switching to a patch with no looper (or at another position) or deleting the looper block.

As said, none of these are reproduceable in a reliable fashion but they happen.

And oh well, in case someone at Line 6 is reading this, pretty please add a cancel button to the looper. Should you've played some nonsense while recording, you instantly know that you'd rather not even once listen to it. But with the Helix looper there's no way around it, which instantly renders the looper a showstopper in any live context.

5 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Not sure whether

Think I am seeing the same thing you are on firmware 2.82. This may be as designed even if it is not operating the same way as earlier firmware versions. Don't remember how this was working earlier versions to be honest.

Let me ask, are we talking about the 1Switch or 6Switch version of the looper here? I think the next paragraph describes the behavior in both.

The looper's loop is not persistent if you stop it before leaving the preset. As long as you are in  preset "A" for example, you can start and stop the loop to your hearts content. Leave preset "A" with it stopped and that loop is gone! You cannot restart it from the preset you switch to nor is it there when you return to preset "A".  However, if you leave the loop playing when switching presets it is persistent. You can switch to another preset and it will still be playing, can be started and stopped from the preset you switched to, and will also be available when you return to the preset you started the loop in -- as long as it is playing when you switch back.

I guess the overriding principle is switch away from any preset with your recorded loop stopped and you lose it; leave it playing while switching presets and you can control it(start/stop,undo, change 'Playback' volume parameter, etc.) across presets.

Noticed another unrelated difference between the two loopers while I was testing this. Probably also as designed but maybe worth mentioning. I have my bottom row of switches set to stomp and the top row to presets. When I use the 1Switch looper and hit my bank switch it retains my snap/stomp setting for the top and bottom row of switches. However, when I engage the 6Switch looper while it is playing, if I hit my bank switch, both rows of switches, top and bottom, display presets. I don't think this is a bug, more how engaging the 6Switch looper interacts with the different modes activated by the Mode switch. Probably due to the fact that there is that extra switch click required when you select the 6Switch looper to bring up the six looper switches; unlike the 1Switch looper which engages immediately when you select it. Behavior may vary depending on your global settings.

The issue came to light while I was using the 6 switch looper. As a result I tried using the 1 switch looper instead but effectively the same process occurs. Hit the switch you enter record mode (red), hit again you get playback (green), again for overdub (amber). From there on if you stay in the same preset you can toggle between playback, overdub and stop (white) with a double hit, but if you stop and change preset the next hit on the switch puts you back into record mode. With the 1 switch looper I can see why this scenario makes sense but not with the 6 switch layout where in looper mode you have record or play in front of you. This is how I was using the looper previously and this is what has changed since I updated because I can't construct ideas in the same way now. With regard to your display issue for preset and stomp I have the same configuration on my device, except for reasons beyond this thread I don't use snapshots. I'm not finding the same issue that you describe so maybe this is related to snapshots or something else in global settings?

4 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

And oh well, in case someone at Line 6 is reading this, pretty please add a cancel button to the looper. Should you've played some nonsense while recording, you instantly know that you'd rather not even once listen to it. But with the Helix looper there's no way around it, which instantly renders the looper a showstopper in any live context.

Doesn't  'Undo'  on the 6 switch looper perform this task in the way you want?

Quick update. This is what has come back from tech support:-

Hi, it is still the same when switching presets the looper must be : the same type of looper block (either 1 switch or 6 switch, (mono or stereo) cannot be mixed -on the same path (1 or 2) -and is assigned to any footswitch are you using parallel path or switching serial routing ? (output block path 1 to path 2 etc) ? the Helix should also be resetted after the update: create a backup and switch off your Helix then press and hold foostwitch FS9+FS10 (two middle lower ones) and switch on your Helix then try with an empty new created preset again, if it works as expected you can import your backup otherwise we'd need some example presets to test with (you can upload files via Browse file in the support ticket) Best regards, Line 6 Technical Support Europe

This suggests no change in their eyes,  although they don't seem to refer directly to the issue raised, more a general checklist of how the looper should be set up. Anyway I performed a reset and experimented again with 2 newly created presets containing just a looper block. Same outcome. This definitely represents a change in function. rd2rk refers to a guy on YT operating an older firmware and using the looper to switch back and forth between presets. I checked it out just to make sure I wasn't going senile. In  the video he's even stopping the looper and moving to a preset that doesn't contain a looper block and is still able to come back to his loops!

I haven't got round to uploading presets for tech support yet but I will do so shortly. In the meantime I've asked the guys where I bought mine to see if they can perform this function on their shop model helix which is also running 2.82. In the meantime I would welcome any more observations on this from 2.82 users just to 100% confirm it is the firmware and not my machine. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Cingaro said:

Quick update. This is what has come back from tech support:-

Hi, it is still the same when switching presets the looper must be : the same type of looper block (either 1 switch or 6 switch, (mono or stereo) cannot be mixed -on the same path (1 or 2) -and is assigned to any footswitch are you using parallel path or switching serial routing ? (output block path 1 to path 2 etc) ? the Helix should also be resetted after the update: create a backup and switch off your Helix then press and hold foostwitch FS9+FS10 (two middle lower ones) and switch on your Helix then try with an empty new created preset again, if it works as expected you can import your backup otherwise we'd need some example presets to test with (you can upload files via Browse file in the support ticket) Best regards, Line 6 Technical Support Europe

... they don't seem to refer directly to the issue raised, more a general checklist of how the looper should be set up. ...

In the meantime I would welcome any more observations on this from 2.82 users just to 100% confirm it is the firmware and not my machine. Thanks.

I agree, their response is general and did not directly address your question. I would not take it as implying anything.

Additional confirmations are always welcome but there's a high probability that others will see the same looper behavior that rd2rk, you, and I have observed in 2.82.  I do not think this is a problem with your machine.

As said before, the looper behaviour is erratic. Sometimes it works just the way Line 6 describes in their response and sometimes it doesn't. Today, I've spent some time building patches and the looper worked fine all throughout, even when switching patches. Just a moment ago it didn't anymore. Same behaviour as decribed, after switching a patch, all the looper switches would not work anymore. That, pretty clearly, is a bug.

6 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

As said before, the looper behaviour is erratic. Sometimes it works just the way Line 6 describes in their response and sometimes it doesn't. Today, I've spent some time building patches and the looper worked fine all throughout, even when switching patches. Just a moment ago it didn't anymore. Same behaviour as decribed, after switching a patch, all the looper switches would not work anymore. That, pretty clearly, is a bug.

Are you saying that, using v2.82, SOMETIMES you can STOP playback, switch presets, and RE-START playback, but SOMETIMES playback won't re-start? But SOMETIMES it will?

54 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

I am not seeing this. The looper always behaves the same way for me as I described above. Do you have the looper in the same position, same path, in every preset you are switching to? Not saying that there couldn't be a bug that causes it to glitch now and then for some people but I think the behavior is consistent when not glitching. It does not glitch out on me although I don't use it extensively.

2 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

I am not seeing this. The looper always behaves the same way for me as I described above. Do you have the looper in the same position, same path, in every preset you are switching to?

Yeah. It's all copies of one patch, just a different amp and pedal here and there.

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Are you saying that, using v2.82, SOMETIMES you can STOP playback, switch presets, and RE-START playback, but SOMETIMES playback won't re-start? But SOMETIMES it will?

Exactly. In fact, most of the time it works fine. And then *boom* -, all of a sudden it stops.

3 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

I agree, their response is general and did not directly address your question. I would not take it as implying anything.

Additional confirmations are always welcome but there's a high probability that others will see the same looper behavior that rd2rk, you, and I have observed in 2.82.  I do not think this is a problem with your machine.

I wanted to check it wasn't my machine because it has just come back from a switch repair, but from the outset I thought this was a firmware issue, confirmed further by another 2.82 user I know encountering the same problem. I've relayed these issues back to tech support, but should I  now be taking a new route to pressure a firmware update? I know my helix dealer here is on the case but I am a relatively new user.

39 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Exactly. In fact, most of the time it works fine. And then *boom* -, all of a sudden it stops.

In v2.82, if you are able to STOP playback of a recorded loop, switch presets, then restart the recorded loop, then you have a very special version of 2.82. Maybe when you updated to 2.82, the looper part of the update only partially took? I know, sounds crazy to me, too, but only thing I can come up with. The inability to record, stop, switch presets and restart is totally consistent on my floor.

As far as all the buttons not working, I can't duplicate that. The recorded loop is gone after stopping then switching presets, but I can always start a new one.

The only button I have consistent trouble with is in one button mode, getting a double-tap to stop the playback. I have to tap it rapid-fire multiple times to get it to stop. That behavior is the same on the Floor and the Stomp.

32 minutes ago, Cingaro said:

I wanted to check it wasn't my machine because it has just come back from a switch repair, but from the outset I thought this was a firmware issue, confirmed further by another 2.82 user I know encountering the same problem. I've relayed these issues back to tech support, but should I  now be taking a new route to pressure a firmware update? I know my helix dealer here is on the case but I am a relatively new user.

I totally understand. It's disconcerting getting something back from repair, or even buying used, and noticing something (other than the repaired item) doesn't seem to be working as before. Especially since most people subject their device to a slightly higher level of scrutiny when they get it used or after a repair. Been there.

Pressuring an update is unlikely to happen but you can enter an idea in Ideascale for the device to operate the way it ostensibly used to. You can also open a ticket to further bring the issue to Line6's attention in the event that it is just the side-effect of a bug.In which case hopefully it will get squashed in the next update. Again it may be as designed, even if it was different before. I guess time will tell. Frustrating in the meantime though I understand if it is disrupting a workflow you had grown accustomed to.

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

I'm also not seeing this. The looper is consistent in its refusal to play once stopped and exited from the current preset. However, I did have erratic behaviour in the looper previously which turned out to be an intermittent triggering switch problem. Are you having other issues or just erratic looper behaviour?

31 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

The only button I have consistent trouble with is in one button mode, getting a double-tap to stop the playback. I have to tap it rapid-fire multiple times to get it to stop. That behavior is the same on the Floor and the Stomp.

I can get it to work with the just the double-tap on the 1Switch looper but I have to get the timing just right. It's like having the double-click interval on your mouse set too fast so it often fails to double-click. Its timing should almost be a settable parameter. Of course if they do that then people, particularly those who set a slow/long double-tap interval will complain that the end of their loop isn't restarting in the right place at the right time(modified Dr. John).

Maybe a double tap is not the best way to do the stop command but not sure how else you would do it if you truly want to keep all the functions on one switch. In other words, for a one switch approach, without quantizing the loop's end-point, or perhaps some very clever switch logic, if you grant the user more latitude on the double click it will also impact where the stop is detected and potentially make for a loop end-point that is slightly off.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

In v2.82, if you are able to STOP playback of a recorded loop, switch presets, then restart the recorded loop, then you have a very special version of 2.82.

You're actually right - no, I can't do that, either.  Seems I missed the "stop the looper" portion so far. As soon as I press stop and switch presets, the loopers memory is erased. Only if I keep it playing, it's usually not an issue.

Sorry for the possible confusion.

20 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

In v2.82, if you are able to STOP playback of a recorded loop, switch presets, then restart the recorded loop, then you have a very special version of 2.82. Maybe when you updated to 2.82, the looper part of the update only partially took? I know, sounds crazy to me, too, but only thing I can come up with. The inability to record, stop, switch presets and restart is totally consistent on my floor.

As far as all the buttons not working, I can't duplicate that. The recorded loop is gone after stopping then switching presets, but I can always start a new one.

12 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

I can get it to work with the just the double-tap on the 1Switch looper but I have to get the timing just right. It's like having the double-click on your mouse set too fast so it often malfunctions. Its timing should almost be a settable parameter. Of course if they do that then people, particularly those who set a slow double-tap interval will complain that the end of their loop isn't restarting at the right time. Maybe a double tap is not the best way to do the stop command but not sure how else you would do it if you truly want to keep all the functions on one switch.

I have a Boss RC 3 looper hooked up to my helix as an external pedal. The Rc 3 also uses a double tap to stop which is a royal pain in the arse. I got around the issue by connecting the pedal to the external amp input on the back of the helix, and then selected external amp in the command centre to assign a separate footswitch to control the operation. I also used another switch to toggle between banks on my external looper. While I appreciate that the external amp input would be no use to you in this case there may be another option in command centre that lets you assign this to a footswitch? ...... and if so could there be one that allows you to save your loop on changing preset??

22 minutes ago, Cingaro said:

I have a Boss RC 3 looper hooked up to my helix as an external pedal. The Rc 3 also uses a double tap to stop which is a royal pain in the arse. I got around the issue by connecting the pedal to the external amp input on the back of the helix, and then selected external amp in the command centre to assign a separate footswitch to control the operation. I also used another switch to toggle between banks on my external looper. While I appreciate that the external amp input would be no use to you in this case there may be another option in command centre that lets you assign this to a footswitch? ...... and if so could there be one that allows you to save your loop on changing preset??

There may be a way to send a MIDI command to stop the 1Swtich looper, I have no idea. If so using an external MIDI switcher might be a way to convert the 1Switch looper into a 2Switch looper(or more). Another way to do this, provided the MIDI "stop" command exists, would be to connect the Helix's MIDI IN to MIDI OUT and assign an additional switch on the Helix for a "2Switch" looper. For some, depending on your requirements and switching preferences, either of these might be a preferable and excellent solution. Others may just find themselves saying, "hmmm, think I'll just use Helix's 6Switch looper instead".

1 minute ago, HonestOpinion said:

There may be a way to send a MIDI command to stop the 1Swtich looper, I have no idea. If so using an external MIDI switcher might be a way to convert the 1Switch looper into a 2Switch looper. For some, depending on your requirements and switching preferences, that might be a preferable and excellent solution. Others may just find themselves saying, "hmmm, think I'll just use Helix's 6Switch looper instead".

Yes I guess it depends on how fundamental the looper is to your work. For me this change, whether designed or a bug, has profoundly altered the way I've been constructing ideas using 2 loopers in tandem, enough to consider returning to an earlier firmware. I'm almost tempted to do it just to see if it coincides with the introduction of the 1 switch looper.

4 minutes ago, Cingaro said:

Yes I guess it depends on how fundamental the looper is to your work. For me this change, whether designed or a bug, has profoundly altered the way I've been constructing ideas using 2 loopers in tandem, enough to consider returning to an earlier firmware. I'm almost tempted to do it just to see if it coincides with the introduction of the 1 switch looper.

The MIDI solution would be more for folks who don't like the double-click operation required by the 1Switch looper. Your workflow issue probably won't be resolved by a MIDI solution. More likely a firmware change.

46 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

I can get it to work with the just the double-tap on the 1Switch looper but I have to get the timing just right. It's like having the double-click on your mouse set too fast so it often malfunctions. Its timing should almost be a settable parameter. Of course if they do that then people, particularly those who set a slow double-tap interval will complain that the end of their loop isn't restarting at the right time. Maybe a double tap is not the best way to do the stop command but not sure how else you would do it if you truly want to keep all the functions on one switch.

Agreed. I think that ALL of these problems are related to the 1 switch looper implementation, since that's when it seems to have started.

I just got off the phone with Josh in California. He tried, no problem! Had me send him the presets I'm using to test.

Will report back when I hear back from him.

10 hours ago, Cingaro said:

10 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

There may be a way to send a MIDI command to stop the 1Swtich looper, I have no idea. If so using an external MIDI switcher might be a way to convert the 1Switch looper into a 2Switch looper(or more). Another way to do this, provided the MIDI "stop" command exists, would be to connect the Helix's MIDI IN to MIDI OUT and assign an additional switch on the Helix for a "2Switch" looper. For some, depending on your requirements and switching preferences, either of these might be a preferable and excellent solution. Others may just find themselves saying, "hmmm, think I'll just use Helix's 6Switch looper instead".

Well turns out there is a MIDI command for stopping the looper. It is CC=61, Value=0.  Sure enough it was simple to loop a MIDI cable from MIDI IN to MIDI out on the Helix, assign the 'Stop' command to one footswitch and the 1Switch looper to another and you now have a 2Switch looper. Stopping the looper can now be done with a single-click instead of a double-click from the switch you assigned the CC command to and all other looper operations can be done using the switch assigned to the looper. 

Another use of MIDI loopback I posted up allows you to switch from volume to wah on the expression pedal from a footswitch instead of the toe switch. This maintains the volume on the expression pedal instead of maxing it out as using the toe switch does.

Link below with step-by-step instructions for setting up "2Switch" looper and wah assignment to a footswitch instead of toeswitch.

14 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Well turns out there is a MIDI command for stopping the looper. It is CC=61, Value=0.  Sure enough it was simple to loop a MIDI cable from MIDI IN to MIDI out on the Helix, assign the 'Stop' command to one footswitch and the 1Switch looper to another and you now have a 2Switch looper. Stopping the looper can now be done with a single-click instead of a double-click from the switch you assigned the CC command to and all other looper operations can be done using the switch assigned to the looper. 

So just read this with interest and also your other post and link to the unofficial helix MIDI guide. I have never used MIDI in my life and so don't really understand it,  but I am wondering whether if I adopt the same procedure that you outline to create a separate Stop switch by changing Value=0 to Value=64 thereby creating a Play function I could potentially solve my issue by altering the linear process of the 1 switch looper. What do you reckon. Could this work? I would like to know before I buy a MIDI cable with excitement, only for it to end in crashing disappointment.

6 hours ago, Cingaro said:

So just read this with interest and also your other post and link to the unofficial helix MIDI guide. I have never used MIDI in my life and so don't really understand it,  but I am wondering whether if I adopt the same procedure that you outline to create a separate Stop switch by changing Value=0 to Value=64 thereby creating a Play function I could potentially solve my issue by altering the linear process of the 1 switch looper. What do you reckon. Could this work? I would like to know before I buy a MIDI cable with excitement, only for it to end in crashing disappointment.

I don't see how this would solve your issue. Whether you have one button or two for the looper, if it is stopped you will still lose the loop as soon as you change presets.  The MIDI solution is for people struggling with the two-click stop command on the 1Switch looper.  You appear to require a firmware change or some nifty workaround no one's come up with yet.

On 11/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, rd2rk said:

Agreed. I think that ALL of these problems are related to the 1 switch looper implementation, since that's when it seems to have started.

I just got off the phone with Josh in California. He tried, no problem! Had me send him the presets I'm using to test.

Will report back when I hear back from him.

UPDATE

Just heard back from Josh at support:

"Hi EJ, we've logged this with our QA team to improve the looper function on next Helix/HX update."

Line6Josh

So, we're not crazy, the function changed with one of the recent updates, and now that they know, they'll fix it, we hope, in the next update!

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

UPDATE

Just heard back from Josh at support:

"Hi EJ, we've logged this with our QA team to improve the looper function on next Helix/HX update."

Line6Josh

So, we're not crazy, the function changed with one of the recent updates, and now that they know, they'll fix it, we hope, in the next update!

Yep. I've had something back as well:-

Hello Cingaro. Your Line 6 Support Ticket was updated with the following message:

Hi,
we have escalated this issue, it should be fixed in an upcoming firmware update (unfortunately we cannot tell when or in which version, but it is on the bugfix list)
Best regards,
Line 6 Technical Support Europe