Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax volume knob makes scratching noise when using a battery

It's quiet when powered through VDI, but makes a lot of noise when turned if powered by the internal battery or through the 1/4" jack using the old Variax power supply. Any ideas what might cause that?

Sounds to me like there's DC getting on the pot, but that shouldn't happen unless there's a short somewhere.

Make certain the volume control retainer nut is snug and tight.

Foil on the under-side of the pick-guard acts as a chassis/shield.

Another reason would be if there were an intermittent contact or solder point on the jack plate of the guitar or the power wedge.

From guitar to the power wedge, be sure it's a cable with TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) plug on it.

Could also be a dirty pot,....

I, too, have been plagued by this problem for several years now. That being the scratching noise when rotating the volume control when on Modeling mode, not in Mag-pickup mode.

I have removed the pickguard and placed a small drop of proper Electronics Contact Cleaner down the shaft of the Volume Control and worked it back and forth. Also, the Volume Pot has a tab that fits in to a slot in the plastic housing underneath the the pickguard that  mounts the Volume and Tone Pots. I assume the aforementioned tab makes contact with the shielding on the pickguard to secure a ground. As such, the ground should be sufficiently connected when tightening the cleaned Volume Pot and retaining nut. Unfortunately, this procedure did not eliminate the scratching noise - which will temporarily drop off when rotating the Volume knob vigorously for about 20 seconds - then the  noise returns as before.

Mr. Psarkissian, from your comment : "Another reason would be if there were an intermittent contact or solder point on the jack plate of the guitar or the power wedge" I will assume from this point it may be necessary for me to replace the entire jack plate assembly as I also have been troubled by an erratic connection there when using a TRS 1/4" cable. If so, is the black connector from the PC board on  the jack assembly (i.e. Line 6 part no. 50-04-0079-1) simply plugged into the appropriate location on the main board, or must it be soldered in place? Nevertheless, If there is more expertise required of this procedure than a simple "remove & replace", then fortunately for me there is an Authorized Line 6 Repair Technician within a short drive of where I live.

I am very grateful for any advise and guidance you can offer regarding the above. Thank you.