Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How hard would it be to fill and re-drill trem spring screw holes?

My other post has me thinking that I really want to install a Tremol-No in my JTV-69 but as mentioned in the other post, the JTV trem spring screws are closer together so I would have to fill them and re-drill for the Tremol-No. I've done this for a strap button before using toothpicks and woodglue but I have a few concerns here:

1. I don't know how I would get a drill in there deep enough at the right angle to drill new holes. 

2. How would I make sure to position the holes exactly right? Just try and make sure the new screws looked equidistant to the old filled in holes? 

I feel like this shouldn't be that hard and I really want to do it but also want to make sure I don't mess it up or that it's not far more complex than I think.

Are you talking about the screws that  trem claw hangs on? In your other thread you didn't mention anything about screws... you were talking about the distance between tremolo springs,  not screws.

Either way, it's weird... the claws that the tremolo springs connect to are pretty standard. Don't see how the screws that mount the claw to the body could be any closer together than usual. Can you post a pic?

5 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Are you talking about the screws that  trem claw hangs on? In your other thread you didn't mention anything about screws... you were talking about the distance between tremolo springs,  not screws.

Either way, it's weird... the claws that the tremolo springs connect to are pretty standard. Don't see how the screws that mount the claw to the body could be any closer together than usual. Can you post a pic?

Yes the screws on the claw that the springs attach to. They are Spaced narrower than standard. I discovered that when I went to install my Tremol-No when I first got my JTV-69. 

2 hours ago, Nos402 said:

Yes the screws on the claw that the springs attach to. They are Spaced narrower than standard. I discovered that when I went to install my Tremol-No when I first got my JTV-69. 

That's odd. Had no issues with my install. Budget claws with weird hole spacings, I guess...I had always thought those things were all interchangeable.

Here's a pic of the Tremol-No laying on top of my JTV trem.The black allen screws are directly over the claw screw holes. You can see the JTV claw screws are closer together. The Tremol-No is the standard claw screw spacing I've had on every other guitar I've ever owned. That's the stock claw that came with my JTV-69 when I got it brand new as soon as they were released.

trem.jpg