Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69s: stock pickup magnet type? output impedance? anyone know?

Hello, I'm attempting to make the best pickup height adjustments on my JTV-69s with stock pickups as I find them to be reasonably good-sounding as is. I'm aware that height differences are often simply a matter of personal preference, but I want to avoid the risk of impacting the Piezo pickups sensitivity if the pickups are set poorly.

Accordingly, can anyone tell me something about the stock 69s pickups, such as:

• are the magnets AlNiCo (II, V, or other?) or Ceramic?
  • what is the average output impedance (I believe they may be in the 6.5k range).
  • any ideal height measurement found to be ideal.
  • anything else that might be useful to know.

With kind thanks in advance for your reply.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:22 AM, mrbuggo said:

Hello, I'm attempting to make the best pickup height adjustments on my JTV-69s with stock pickups as I find them to be reasonably good-sounding as is. I'm aware that height differences are often simply a matter of personal preference, but I want to avoid the risk of impacting the Piezo pickups sensitivity if the pickups are set poorly.

Accordingly, can anyone tell me something about the stock 69s pickups, such as:

• are the magnets AlNiCo (II, V, or other?) or Ceramic?
  • what is the average output impedance (I believe they may be in the 6.5k range).
  • any ideal height measurement found to be ideal.
  • anything else that might be useful to know.

With kind thanks in advance for your reply.

I've swapped out some of my pickups in my JTV-69s

According  to Sweetwater's specs on them, they are Alnico, not sure II, IV, V.

Bridge pickup impedance is 7.18k, Middle is 6.29K, and Neck is 6.16K 

Before I swapped out I measured the heights neck pickup: Low E side-.1885" High E-.2330", Middle: Low E-.2100" High E-.2405", Bridge Low E-.2025" High E-.3195"

Hope this helps you. 

Jd

-Yes, keep the DCR (DC/Bulk resistance) between 6k and 8k Ohms.

-Yes, AlNiCo, I forget which curve.

-String-to-pole spec for stock magnetic pick-ups,... finger the highest fret, Lo-E= 3mm from bottom of string, Hi-E= 2mm.

If there's any warbling with the new pick-ups while in Models mode, then adjust as needed to remove warbling sounds.

Stick to the wiring diagrams, nothing fancy, this is an active circuit guitar, and unforgiving of certain mods. be aware.

Altering the functionality of the guitar can void any warranties, so be care how far you go.