Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression pedal that is compatible with HX stomp and other gear

Artuurs

Hi! Trying to find an expression pedal for HX Stomp to control its effect parameters. Looking for something that can be used also for other gear like Moogerfooger, synths, etc. (not simultaneously!) 
The problem is that Line6 is compatible with TS pedals while others  - TRS. Can you, please, help me clarify these things:
- Is there an expression pedal that can be used both as TS and TRS?
- is that what the polarity switch in some pedals is made for? Like EHX, Dunlop DVP4...?  

thanks!

Any pedal will work, just us a TS / mono cable with it instead of a TRS / stereo cable.

The TS cable will join together the R and S poles in the expression pedal and convert the internal Pot from a Potential divider to a variable resistor.

This causes no harm to the expression pedal at all and means it can still be re used with any other type of pedal, by just swapping back to a TRS cable.

Regarding the polarity switch on the some expression pedals, what it does is flip the internal Pot's output so down is up and up is down.

The helix can do this internally, in the global settings, so you gain nothing from having this on the pedal.

I am using a Boss EV-30, which is a TRS style pedal, and using it with a standard TS / mono guitar patch lead, it works great.

I have also used other expression pedals like this and they all work fine with my Helix HX

• Upvote 1

With HX Stomp I use a TRS splitter cable like the HOSA YPP-117.  It has a TRS male end split to 2 TS female ends.  I use an old Yamaha FC7 expression pedal with hardwired TRS male end plugged into one of the female ends that works fine (after reversing the polarity).  The other female end of the splitter remains open for another expression pedal or switch. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/12/2020 at 10:27 PM, plarkin said:

I really do not recommend getting this, I had one for about 2 months before it broke. I opened it to see what had happened and it turns out the entire gear and pivot mechanism is plastic, the gear had fallen to pieces. The outer case may be well built but internals are crap. I've read a few reviews / forum posts now saying this is a common issue on these.

• Upvote 1