Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting up problem

z1FLEXO

I have connected up my new helix rack to a mixing desk. Backing tracks from my computer, via the Helix, through channels one and two on the desk. The guitar is put in through the Helix input and back out to the desk. Unfortunately everything is coming through on the same two channels. I really want to separate out the  guitar channel. Am I able to instruct the helix to separate out the guitar to another channel?As I am new to the machine and tech in general, I apologise if the question seems simple to some

There are a couple of options here.

1) Is there some reason you want to use the mixing desk? For what you describe you could simply use the Helix as the audio interface to your computer (USB connection). This give you a lot of flexibility in routing signals to your system outputs (recording program, speakers/monitors).

2) You could use separate physical outputs from Helix to your mixing desk (XLR, 1/4", Send 1-4) and arrange your Helix preset to separate your computer playback and guitar signal processing using different paths and inputs (Guitar, Aux, Receive 1-4).

If you configure your computer (source of backing tracks) to use the computer's sound card for Playback, all sound originating at the computer will output through the Computer's Sound Card (headphone Out).

Take that to the board, then take the Helix (as ASIO Soundcard in your DAW) to different channels on the board.

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs set USB 1/2 Destination to XLR. You now get computer generated sound (backing tracks, YT) separated from DAW playback, and you can run your 1/4" outs to your amp or the board separate from everything else.

All three sound sources separate!