Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Live headphone mix

PenguinArmy

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to perform some live shows (if we're ever allowed out of our houses again (ask your parents if this is in the future)) using my POD HD500 and Reaper running backing tracks. I was wondering if there is a way to route a click track to my monitors (headphones basically) that won't go to the main speakers. I have tried to output to OP 3/4 in Reaper, but no joy. Has anyone got any ideas? I also have a Focusrite 2i2 but that only has one stereo out channel. Thanks Podders!

15 hours ago, PenguinArmy said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to perform some live shows (if we're ever allowed out of our houses again (ask your parents if this is in the future)) using my POD HD500 and Reaper running backing tracks. I was wondering if there is a way to route a click track to my monitors (headphones basically) that won't go to the main speakers. I have tried to output to OP 3/4 in Reaper, but no joy. Has anyone got any ideas? I also have a Focusrite 2i2 but that only has one stereo out channel. Thanks Podders!

To be honest I never tried it,  but I guess that the following suggestions might work fine for your needs..

JjkaQpt.png

In your DAW right click the metronome button, click its 'routing' button, and select which output 1 or 2 you'd like the metronome to go to.

Plug a dummy jack into the POD output chosen above to keep the stereo outputs separation of the device, ie to avoid the L and R mixing/summing to mono which happens automatically when only one jack is inserted in one of the POD jack outputs. For the connection to PA you'll use only the other POD output.

Still in Reaper right click on the routing button of the backing track and route its output to an output other than the one chosen above for the metronome, and connect the corresponding POD output to your PA.

If your POD patches signals end as stereo use the mixer block in the chain to pan both the 2 channels L and R to the same side set for the backing tracks, the one going to the PA, or mono-ize the final stereo signal by putting a mono FX at the very end of the chain, eg a noise gate with neutral setting (ie doing nothing other than mono-izing the patch signal, it shouldn't affect also the DAW signal).

In your heaphones the metronome will be on one side only, and the rest (guitar and backing tracks, in mono) on the other side, doing so no metronome should reach the PA, but only the backing tracks and your guitar signals (in mono).

Let me know if it works.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

This is more of a Reaper question than a Pod question but here are a few thoughts. I'm assuming your signal chain looks like this:

guitar -> pod -> PA

PC <->2i2 -> pod  -> PA

That is, the PA is only connected to the POD

Your backing tracks can only come out your 2i2. Your click track can only come out your 2i2. Since it only has a single stereo output, you'll need to route one channel for backing tracks and the other channel for click track. So now you have 3 signals feeding your POD - guitar, click track, backing track. The only way I can think to get 3 signals into the POD is via path A, Path B, and the CD/MP3 input. But the POD has only 2 outputs - L/R, which can act like 2 mono signals using the technique Hurgo describes above.

The CD/MP3 comes out both channels (and headphones) and there's nothing you can do about that. So use that for your backing tracks. There's no POD volume control for this so use Reaper to set the output level for your tracks.

The other 2 inputs to your POD (click track and guitar) will come out the L//R outputs of the POD as well as the headphones.

So, what you now have is Left = guitar + backing track, Right = click track + backing track. The headphone has both L/R channels. The PA should only connect to the Left channel.

I think this should work. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An alternative is to feed the POD audio into the 2i2 and use Reaper's superior and flexible routing options to mix the signals any way you want. Route the click track to the headphone output but not the main output. If that option is not available for the 2i2 (separate mixes for headphone and main) then you'll be stuck (again) with 2 mono signals, one with the clock track and one without. You'll need low latency for this work since Reaper is processing the signal in real time.

In this scenario, only the 2i2 connects to the PA.

I think this should work, too.