Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to set guitar volume in mix (Helix is USB interface)

AgingOrange

Connected to my Helix are my monitors (XLR) and my PC (USB). So, if I play a YT video on my PC it will come out of my monitors. So far, so good. However, the guitar's volume is blisteringly loud.

What would be the best way to get the guitar's volume down (regardless of patch used) without touching the patches as I've already set their volume during rehearsals, and without touching the PC's volume? In other words, how do I get the guitar's volume down in the mix?

You could adress this issue the other way around by increasing the volume of your USB return (which is what YT is using). Then turn down the master volume.

I would however suggest to check your preset volumes at one point in time (maybe it's exactly the right time now that nobody's gigging anyway...), because usually, with the USB return level untouched, YT videos should be pretty loud in comparison to any "average" leveled Helix patch. At least that's what things are like over here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SaschaFranck said:

You could adress this issue the other way around by increasing the volume of your USB return (which is what YT is using). Then turn down the master volume.

I would however suggest to check your preset volumes at one point in time (maybe it's exactly the right time now that nobody's gigging anyway...), because usually, with the USB return level untouched, YT videos should be pretty loud in comparison to any "average" leveled Helix patch. At least that's what things are like over here.

I just went through the manual, but I'm not sure how to increase the volume of the USB return. Can you point me in the right direction?

4 minutes ago, AgingOrange said:

I just went through the manual, but I'm not sure how to increase the volume of the USB return. Can you point me in the right direction?

Go to the global settings, Ins/Outs, first page, rightmost entry should say "USB In 1/2 trim". Adjust to your likings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fwiw, mine is sitting there at -5.0dB and I'm usually getting a decent balance between, say, backing tracks from YT and my Helix patches, so I think your patches must be pretty loud.

Possibly a good idea to check with some factory patches as I think they serve well as "role models" for proper patch leveling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fwiw, one thing which you may want to keep in mind as well: In case you're using pretty hot leveled patches and add whatever USB audio stream from your sequencer, YT or whatever, you might run into clipping on your output converters. Unfortunately, the new output meter doesn't display a mix of these signals but the level of the patch only.

Anyway, in a digital environment, it's likely the best idea to deal with levels rather conservatively, i.e. not running them all too hot. Usually, for all sorts of monitoring purposes, there's more than enough options to pull the levels up in case that's needed - without adding all that much noise floor. Personally, I rather have a tiny bit more noise (in case that even happens) than digital clipping.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SaschaFranck said:

Go to the global settings, Ins/Outs, first page, rightmost entry should say "USB In 1/2 trim". Adjust to your likings.

Second page for me, leftmost entry. It's set to 0.0 at the moment. I'm going to lower it since you're right about digital clipping. This means I have to set the channel volume of each patch. Big deal, but I don't see a way around it.

Thanks!