Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using the POD GO with a Marshal DSL 100?

raiders757

Hello. Just looking for some advice. For home use I am running my new POD GO through my my Marshall DSL 100 and a 4x12 JCM cab. Right now its running straight into the front. Basically Guitar IN and the Amp Out into the amp. For some reason the Main/Out into the front has been giving me sketchy results, working at times and not working at others. 

Seems the POD GO can sound thin or bright for lack of a better term. Obviously I still have a lot of tweeking to do and more time to get to know how evetyting works, but I am just wondering if there is a better way to run it through my amp head. 

Some things to try, one at a time, or all together:

1. Turn off the amp/cab in POD and just use the sound of your head
  2. Turn off the cab, but keep the amp on
  3. Swap the amp block out for a preamp block
  4. Make sure your out is set to instrument level and not line
  5. Go to a “blank” preset, turn off all the blocks, and tweak levels until it sounds identical to plugging straight into your amp without POD

• Like 1

Personally, I would run the AMP out to the FX return if I was going to use the amp modeling in the GO. If I wanted to leverage both the amp models in the GO and have the option to use the preamps in DSL, I would 4CM.

GTR-> GO input

GO FX Send-> DSL input

DSL FX Send-> GO FX Return

GO AMP OUT -> DSL FX return

This can work really well and gives you all the options of your amp and GO ... You just have to tweak what you like ... The bonus is that you can use the MAIN outs of the GO to run direct since you can keep the cab modeling bypassed for the amp out and have a cab model for the Marshall Preamp .... just think of the Marshall preamp as an amp model ... when you dial that up the FX Loop is enabled and the GO AMP would have no model and just pick a cab.

one of the reasons I would start with AMP OUT to FX return only would be to dial up GO amp amp models and get them sounding right in the DSL amp and cab ... the next step in tweaking would be to turn off the DSL and connect the main outs to FRFR system like good studio monitors ... Can use good cans too to check and get the cab model dialed for the direct ... after I had some of those patches going, I would move to FRFR which then is basically the same process, just those patches would have the GO AMP bypassed and the FX Loop ON but dial up the DSL first then get the cab model dialed up for the direct ... It takes while to get 4CM going completely but it can be worth it if you really like the preamp in the amp you are using ... best of luck!

• Like 1

Awesome advice. Thanks guys. Sorry for the late response. had a 56 hour week and haven't had a chance to play guitar or do much of anything else for that matter. I'll try the four cord method and check back on with the results.