Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Parallel Split/Summing (Wet/Dry) Issues

Guitar82089

Hi everyone - 

So I’ve been messing around with various signal paths and am getting a very strange polyphonic cancelling when doing a wet/dry split/sum. Has anyone encountered this or can think of a solution? Path below:

Block 1: Minotaur

SPLIT

PATH A: (Block 3) FX Loop Block (use for my analog drive stages)

Path A (block 4): Chorus

Path A (block 5): univibe 

Path B (block 2): Transistor Tape

Signal Combined Again

The sound is very pronounced on my high e- string. I’m not running a stereo rig, so have been faking a split path within the unit. When I rearrange into a series path, this issue goes away but then I don’t get to do a split which I really like. Have also tried rearranging the blocks and am still getting the issue. It occurs with/without the modulation effects on, but strangely goes away when the FX loop block is off. 

I can try to record it and post a link but not sure if anyone has seen this. I assume it has to be a phasing issue. 

The problem is the FX Loop block: It adds a small delay due to D/A and D/A conversion. This will delay the signal by a certain extend and Helix will not compensate for that in parallel paths. This could result in some phase cancellation issues.

A "fix" - no, let's call it workaround - would be to add another FX Loop in PathB and just connect FX Send to FX Return with a patch cable. This would add the DAC conversions to this path as well, so that theoretically both paths should be in sync again. 

• Thanks 1

@bassbene Thanks for the advice. I followed your lead and played with different block options under the FX loop header, of which, Return R happen to work without plugging in an additional patch cable. Definitely a bummer to have to use up a block for this but glad to have a solid workaround.

I also found that the system worked nicer when I mixed the wet signal back in prior to the rest of my modulation effects. I don't mind if my trails have chorus on them, etc... more the drives that can muddy up the mix real quick.

Thank you!