jvivianojr

How to see all the settings of a snapshot

Scenario 1:  I have downloaded a Custom Tone or some other preset from a forum that has multiple snapshots configured

Scenario 2:  I've created many presets with several snapshots each

Is there an easy way in HX Edit and/or on the board to see what are all the parameters/block on-off settings that make up a particular snapshot?  Especially in scenario 1, if the snapshots were not given meaningful names and left as snapshot 1, 2 , 3... how would I even know that the preset has some snapshots active and their different settings?  For scenario 2, I just might not remember all the settings I changed from one to the next.

From my current limited knowledge of the Helix, it seems as though I have to go into each Block in each snapshot of each preset to look for parameters that show in [white brackets] as well as  take notice if a block changed from on to off between snapshots.

I appreciate any tips here.

Perhaps a Snapshot or Preset compare tool ?

2 hours ago, jvivianojr said:

Is there an easy way in HX Edit and/or on the board to see what are all the parameters/block on-off settings that make up a particular snapshot?

Afraid not.

if the snapshots were not given meaningful names and left as snapshot 1, 2 , 3... how would I even know that the preset has some snapshots active and their different settings?

Without clicking on each snapshot to see what they do (if anything), you won't.

I just might not remember all the settings I changed from one to the next.

Without a photographic memory, I seriously doubt any of us can.

From my current limited knowledge of the Helix, it seems as though I have to go into each Block in each snapshot of each preset to look for parameters that show in [white brackets] as well as  take notice if a block changed from on to off between snapshots.

Yup.

For what its worth, Helix preset files (.hlx files) follow the open standard JSON "JavaScript Object Notation." There's plenty of documentation re JASON online, and free or paid JSON editors available. I used to use one on the Mac called JSON Wizard to bulk edit Helix files. You can decipher the parameters in a preset jason file, but its not for the weak-hearted, and you may need to sign some sort of deal with the devil to get adept at deciphering things. Some Helix users have attempted writing parsers for .hlx files; look around on the forum and you might find something.

Just to show you what you could be getting into with reading .hlx files, here is the front part of a preset, as read into a free online JSON Editor (there are lots of them, but I used jsoneditoronline.org):

{"data":{"device_version":43122688,"tone":{"variax":{"@variax_str3tuning":0,"@variax_str2level":1,"@variax_str4tuning":0,"@variax_str2tuning":0,"@variax_str1level":1,"@variax_str5level":1,"@variax_model":0,"@model":"@variax","@variax_str3level":1,"@variax_volumeknob":-0.1,"@variax_str4level":1,"@variax_str6level":1,"@variax_str5tuning":0,"@variax_customtuning":true,"@variax_lockctrls":0,"@variax_toneknob":-0.1,"@variax_str1tuning":0,"@variax_magmode":true,"@variax_str6tuning":0},"dsp1":{"split":{"bypass":false,"@position":3,"BalanceB":0.5,"@enabled":true,"BalanceA":0.5,"@model":"HD2_AppDSPFlowSplitY","@no_snapshot_bypass":false},"block2":{"@path":0,"@type":0,"@stereo":false,"@position":2,"@no_snapshot_bypass":false,"Gain":2,"@enabled":false,"@model":"HD2_VolPanGain"},"outputA":{"@output":5,"@model":"HD2_AppDSPFlowOutput","gain":0,"pan":0.5},"block4":{"@no_snapshot_bypass":false,"Speed":0.02199996,"SyncSelect1":6,"Feedback":0.28,"@position":4,"@stereo":true,"TempoSync1":true,"@type":7,"Mix":0.22,"@model":"HD2_DelayModChorusEcho","HighCut":9540,"Level":0,"ModulationMode":1,"Depth":0.49,"@path":0,"@trails":false,"Scale":0.75,"Time":0.538,"@enabled":false,"LowCut":155,"Spread":1},"inputA":{"decay":0.5,"noiseGate":false,"@model":"HD2_AppDSPFlow1Input","@input":0,"threshold":-48},"block8":{"@model":"HD2_Chorus","Mix":0.5,"Tone":0.5,"Predelay":0.3199999,"Level":0,"WaveShape":2,"@no_snapshot_bypass":false,"SyncSelect1":6,"Speed":0.3199999,"@type":0,"@stereo":tru

etc......

If you read through this gibberish, you’ll be able to find the block # used, and what it is. So for the above, Block 4 is category: Delay, and the effect is the Mod/Chorus Echo. The parameters used for Mod/Chorus echo are: Time, Feedback, Low Cut, High Cut, Mix, Level, Speed, Depth, Modulation Mode, and Trails. Reading through the gibberish, you can figure out what the parameters are. I didn’t take the time to do a direct compare of the JSON file and the preset parameter settings to figure everything out exactly, but most of the parameters are obvious. It wouldn’t take long to decipher the rest and get good at it. For this example:  

Time: 0.538 (not sure how this translates to ms in the block, but do some math; the parameter range is 0—8s. Double check to determine.)
Low Cut: 155 Hz
High Cut: 9.54 KHz
Mix: 22%
Level: 0.0 dB
Speed: 0.02199 (again, double check to see how this parameter relates actual preset; range of actual parameter is 0—10. I’m guessing this is 2.2)
Depth: 49%
Mod Mode: check to see if 1 = off, chorus, or vibrato
Trails: Off

Like I say, its devil’s work. Somebody should write a good interpreter or parser and give it away to the world. I can’t because I’ve got to go clean my deck.