Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reaper Controller

firehawkkwah

I just found the YouTube Remote and Reaper templates. Awesome. 

But is it possible to use the Reaper controls and also have a preset or snapshot in there? I don't need tons of flexibility to be changing tones and everything while also having the Reaper controls accessible (but that'd be awesome). Just being able to paste in a preset or snap, even if I don't modify it while recording, would be enough for me. 

Not sure I understand. You can assign Reaper and/or YT "Hotkeys" to Instant Commands that are sent when Snapshots load, and/or in Stomp Mode, assign some buttons to Helix commands and some to Reaper/YT Hotkeys.

EDIT: I believe that the Hotkeys are sent to the "active" window, Reaper OR YT. To use both at the same time you'd need to use MIDI commands for Reaper, and have the YT window active to receive the Hotkeys. I think. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Taking into account my edit to my first post, and that you're using a Helix product that has Command Center (not Stomp - coming with v3.0), you would assign the Hotkey or MIDI commands to Instant Commands (the lightning bolts) to have them sent on Snapshot Load, or to regular buttons for manual (non Snapshot) control.

If you get specific about what you want to do (what are the EXACT commands you want to send and when), I can send an example preset to demonstrate the basic principles. Read the manual to find out the basics of using Command Center. Understand that, while I know HOW to do it, they're not things that I use my Helix for. As an interesting learning experience, I would create and test the preset in Reaper and YT and pass along anything interesting that I learn.

I am using Helix LT. 

Looking to have some switches (say FS 8,9,10,11) to be Play, Stop, Rewind, Record. 

And the other switches (FS 2-5) to either be snaps, presets, or stomps. Would be happy with any of those options. 

The Reaper template has the whole Reaper control section, but I don't see how to use those controls and record anything other than a dry signal. 

Here ya go.

Stomp Mode

Buttons 2-5 : FX Bypass in signal chain order

Button 8 :  Play/Stop (returns to Start of Project)

Button 9 : Play/Pause

Button 10 : Rewind  (returns to Start of Project)

Button 11 : Record (starts RECORD for all armed tracks)

firehawkwah.hlx

54 minutes ago, firehawkkwah said:

The Reaper template has the whole Reaper control section, but I don't see how to use those controls and record anything other than a dry signal. 

What you record depends on how you set the Track Input in Reaper. If you set it to 1/2 you get the same signal as the Helix L/R Outs. If you set it to 7/8 you get a DI (unprocessed) signal.

No idea what "the whole Reaper control section" includes, but you only have 8 buttons, so....

Awesome, thanks. Yes, that's what I'm looking for! Precisely! 

So the two outstanding questions are:

1) Is it possible to add those controls on FS 8-11 to other existing presets or snaps? Keeping in mind that the preset of course can't have anything existing assigned to those FS. Either manually adding those controls to an existing preset one at a time, or by copy/pasting  the tone path into the existing one you created? I basically don't want to have to recreate every tone from scratch in order to use this. I don't mind a little setup to make it happen, but not every single thing every time. Then it's just easier to keep using the mouse and keyboard!

2) If it's possible to do it, how do I do it myself? :) And yes, I know a large part of the answer is "read the manual, dummy". I'm ok with that, but pointers on "you need to do X, so look at Y and Z" makes my learning curve shorter! 

2 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

Awesome, thanks. Yes, that's what I'm looking for! Precisely! 

So the two outstanding questions are:

1) Is it possible to add those controls on FS 8-11 to other existing presets or snaps? Keeping in mind that the preset of course can't have anything existing assigned to those FS. Either manually adding those controls to an existing preset one at a time, or by copy/pasting  the tone path into the existing one you created? I basically don't want to have to recreate every tone from scratch in order to use this. I don't mind a little setup to make it happen, but not every single thing every time. Then it's just easier to keep using the mouse and keyboard!

2) If it's possible to do it, how do I do it myself? :) And yes, I know a large part of the answer is "read the manual, dummy". I'm ok with that, but pointers on "you need to do X, so look at Y and Z" makes my learning curve shorter! 

Remember I said that I don't use my Helix for this? Now you know why. There's no way to do this Globally. You can create a "Template" (or use the preset I created) and build your tones on top of it, or you can modify each and every existing Preset. There's no way to just "Copy/Paste" Command Center settings.

As for how to do it, that's why I sent an EXAMPLE preset. In HX Edit, open Command Center (Menu Bar>Window>Command Center) and examine how I set the switches. It's really quite easy to do.

Gotcha. Man, I think that having the ability to control the DAW and paste those controls in would really be sweet. But doing it one at a time, every time... not so much. 

Maybe it'll be in 3.0. Ha. 

I just got this box a few days ago, haven't touched Command Center before. I'll get on it, thanks again for posting that preset, super helpful!