Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware 2.0.2 killed my amp

jeffrev01

This morning I downloaded the latest firmware for my G10 Transmitter (Relay G10 v. 1.06) to see if it would fix a problem that I had been having with it. While using the updater I also saw that there was a new firmware for my amp (V. 2.0.2). After downloading the firmware to the amp it restarted, I had a regular 1/4" instrument cable hooked to my guitar and plugged it into the input jack. A terrible squealing noise started coming out of the amp. I turned down the master volume and pulled the cable out. I plugged it back in and now I get no sound at all from the speaker. I plugged in headphones and no sound there either. Prior to the update I had been using the amp with a standard instrument cable. I checked the cable on another amp and it works fins so my only conclusion can be that the firmware did something to kill the amp. I tried a factory reset but it didn't do anything. I really love using this amp as my office practice amp. I even bought the FBV3 to go with it. Npt sure what to do now to get it to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same issue happen with my V 60.

The Input channel on the Amp stopped working after I tried to update to the latest 2.02.0 release. The Demo riff plays fine the so the amplifier functions.
  1.  The updater connects to the Amp.
  2. Version 2.02.0 begins to install and amp displays "version 2.01.0"
  3. The update installation proceeds until step 7 "Checking updater"
  4. Amp displays "Update Failed" - (Wireless Prog Err)
  5. The amp screen then displays "Ready for update".
I have used two different computers so it not a communication issue.
The additional issue is the updater no longer recognizes the Relay G10 Transmitters.

I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT LINE 6 IS GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS!

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

similar situation, I just upgraded to 2.02 and now my relay g10 is not working anymore. I'd downgrade them both again, but i had to use 2.02 on the spider v. I can't see the relay g10 in line6 updater, and i cant even see the g10 battery logo on the spider. When i plug it in, i get four red blinks, steady green blinks, and solid green, but i don't see anything to indicate the spider even knows its there!

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem, updating to 2.02 an now there is no guitar sound through the line input. The Display and Drum loop works fine. Where can I download previous firmware for Spider V60?

Now it works!!!  I installed several times an older version (1.05) which failed every time. Today I tried it again, and now the installation routine works until the end. The Line 6 V60 resets automatically and reboot. I don´t know why? Then I installed the newest firmware. Ans also here all looks fine and the installation routine works until the end with automatically reboot.

Edited by snickey
Solved
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I have been struggling with this issue for months but I finally solved it! 

# Symptoms

After updating to the latest firmware, v2.02.0, on my Spider V 240 the guitar input produced no sound. The drum loops played and the USB audio interface played but not the guitar input. After a lot of effort I found this is due to a failure programming the wireless receiver code portion of the firmware update. The firmware isn't broken, the firmware update process is.

# Diagnosis

If you long press the home button and see version 00.00.00 for the wireless receiver and n/a for the transmitter then this is your problem! This means that the wireless firmware that is the most important part of the 2.02.00 firmware update did not apply correctly. Since the input jack is used to charge transmitters this code closely interacts with the input jack.

# Solution

Update the firmware using an iPhone! I tried updating using a Pixel 2  Android phone around a thousand times but always got "Update Failed" - (Wireless Prog Err). Remember to flip the switch near the USB inputs on the back of the amp so the iPhone can talk to the amp. When using the iPhone the amp hung at step 8, updating receiver. I let it sit that way for a long time before power cycling the unit. After power cycling everything worked properly again.

# Details

Line6's 2.02.00 firmware exists to prevent the possibility of fire when charging wireless transmitters. Wireless transmitters (G10T family) can be charged using the guitar input jack of Spider V systems. There appears to be something wrong with Spider Remote when updating this firmware revision when using Android. I can only say that it's a problem with Google Pixel 2 phones; it might be OK with others. When doing an update Step 8, the wireless receiver module fails. This failure appears to make the input jack useless but it's actually worse than that.

I thought the input jack was broken on my unit so I bought a G10TII transmitter thinking that wireless input would be nice. I found that didn't work either which led me down this path where I finally was able to update the code, successfully, but only when I used an iPhone.

Factory resets did nothing. Clearing the presets did nothing. Removing the power cable did nothing. Removing USB did nothing. Reinstalling Spider Remote did nothing. A G10TII did nothing. Letting the amp heat up did nothing. Using Spider Remote on a Windows VM did nothing. Loudly cursing did nothing. 

• Upvote 1

Update to the situation: Unfortunately the above was not a solution. I powered on my amp today and I see the same Wireless v 00.00.00 problem as detailed in the previous post. The latest firmware is clearly defective. I'll try some other support avenues to see if I can get my amp to work again. Lesson learned: never update firmware unless you have a problem.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I ended up shipping my amp to their repair shop in CA. They said that it was acting completely fine when it arrived. They shipped it back to me and it has been perfectly OK since it came back to me.

They said that they didn't do anything -- that it was completely fine when it arrived. I have my suspicions but I'm not going to complain because it has been fine ever since then.

Sorry, I know this doesn't really help. All of the evidence I can see shows a botched update of the wireless firmware...

• Upvote 1

hello again, my amp is working great again. infact I connected my phone to the amp and launched the spider remote, I went to the settings and I updated (swipe down) following that I was asked to do the update again and after that my amp was working . I am therefore in 2.02 and the wireless displays v1.02 I hope it will help you

• 4 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 7:01 PM, KwanJang said:

I had the same issue happen with my V 60.

The Input channel on the Amp stopped working after I tried to update to the latest 2.02.0 release. The Demo riff plays fine the so the amplifier functions.
  1.  The updater connects to the Amp.
  2. Version 2.02.0 begins to install and amp displays "version 2.01.0"
  3. The update installation proceeds until step 7 "Checking updater"
  4. Amp displays "Update Failed" - (Wireless Prog Err)
  5. The amp screen then displays "Ready for update".
I have used two different computers so it not a communication issue.
The additional issue is the updater no longer recognizes the Relay G10 Transmitters.

I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT LINE 6 IS GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS!

Exact same issue. I don't have an apple, and the android app won't let you re-do the updates, but it seems like someone had it work by using the iPhone plugin.

I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT LINE 6 IS GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS!!!

This all started because they had a relay that would catch fire, and THEY BROKE SOMETHING ELSE TRYING TO FIX THEIR BUGGY FIRMWARE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

HOLA GREGOWE1231, ME PODRIAS DECIR DINDE LO LLEBASTE A REPARA. TEMGO UN PROBLEMA

Hola, hace como 6 meses me compre un spider v 240, hoy x la mañana estaba armando un preset con el ampli conectado a mi telefono con android y spiderremote y se tildo. lo apague y cuando lo encendi prende la pantalla y se queda con el logo de Line 6, y en la FBV 3 dice (01A Spider v Booting). la apague y prendi varias veces pero no se soluciona. podrias ayudarme? muchas gracias

On 10/28/2020 at 3:25 PM, jeffrev01 said:

This morning I downloaded the latest firmware for my G10 Transmitter (Relay G10 v. 1.06) to see if it would fix a problem that I had been having with it. While using the updater I also saw that there was a new firmware for my amp (V. 2.0.2). After downloading the firmware to the amp it restarted, I had a regular 1/4" instrument cable hooked to my guitar and plugged it into the input jack. A terrible squealing noise started coming out of the amp. I turned down the master volume and pulled the cable out. I plugged it back in and now I get no sound at all from the speaker. I plugged in headphones and no sound there either. Prior to the update I had been using the amp with a standard instrument cable. I checked the cable on another amp and it works fins so my only conclusion can be that the firmware did something to kill the amp. I tried a factory reset but it didn't do anything. I really love using this amp as my office practice amp. I even bought the FBV3 to go with it. Npt sure what to do now to get it to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the same problem...