Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab easier than Powercab Plus?

spangberg

I've read a lot on the forums, and I'm still not convinced that a Powercab+ will be worth the extra money.  Is there any benefit to having my IRs on the PC Plus rather that just keeping them in my Helix floor?  I don't need the extra DSP it would free up, but does it actually sound better?  I'm planning on going stereo with my left speaker as my L2 Stagesource and right speaker with a regular Powercab on flat mode.  I've already got my hands full dialing in a tone on the Helix floor alone and the PC Plus options just seems like more variables to juggle.

Why not just get another Stagesource? That's your simplest solution.

The only reasons I can see for you to get a Powercab is if you think you might take it out to play with others, and you're SURE you like the sound of the emulated cabs.

And it's lighter.

Otherwise, get another Stagesource and have a balanced stereo system.

There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple. As you say adding more options makes it more difficult to decide on things, and leads to more playing.

I have a pair of PC+ and have had for a few years. I got them as I found each of them second hand at a very good price that made getting the + worth it.

I play covers and use a song by song approach to patch and have played with the modeled speakers in the PC+s a bit, but found myself returning to using them as FRFR for ease of set-up and consistency. It also means I can tune patches in headphones or on my studio monitors and know how they will translate to the PC+ (only though lots of experience). Using the speaker models or IRs in the PC+ would mean I need to run them at volume to tune patches - at least until I understood how they translate.

So, unless you want L6 Link to save digital to analog conversion, and/or the additional features like USB connection then you may be best sticking with what you have - that said I love using L6 Link for ease of setup.

49 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Why not just get another Stagesource? That's your simplest solution.

That's an intriguing suggestion.  Although I don't like the Stagesource by itself, but I do like the sound better together with my mk1 Tech 21 Power Engine for a different sound.  I'm thinking that maybe a regular powercab will replace my Tech 21 and have that varied "3D" sound that 2 different cabs Stagesource + reg PCab would yield.  Wish I could try before I buy.  I was even at at Guitar Center Helix workshop a couple years back in Boise and the L6 Instructor didn't have a Powercab or Stagesource on hand, just a couple of non L6 studio monitors. Missed opportunity!

Get matched speakers and use the Helix to send differently eq'd signals through different amps and IRs Left and Right.

Eliminate the variables at the final audio reproduction stage by using the Helix to do what it was designed to do.