Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax opinions requested

PatMarrNC

• 3 years later...
On 2/17/2021 at 12:12 AM, Hey_Joe said:
Hey Pat -

I have owned the first iteration of Variax (Variax 300 and 600) and currently have the JTV59 and JTV69. I also own the Roland GR-55 which makes use of their COSM guitar modeling. I have noticed no latency with either version of the Variax, either with normal playing or when using a stock or custom alt tuning.

I do notice some well known artifacts (faint warble) with the 12 string models and the piezo "Plink" which can be lessened. I don't notice those artifacts when using the GR-55's COSM guitar modeling. But - I WOULD rather be using the Variax for my guitar tones as well as taking advantage of Workbench HD capabilities. I don't think anyone can tell in a live setting or while recording that I'm not playing the real thing. It will ultimately come down to if it works for you.

If I was buying a new Variax this late in the game I would probably buy a Standard or a used JTV with the expectation of the next NEW version of the Variax being around the corner - although there is no indication by Line 6 that they have a new version ready to drop.

Just my 2¢.

Hi,

I've just ordered a GR55. Is there any latency on the modelled effects? Do you think the guitar modelling is good generally or am I better off getting a Variax? I currently play a Strat.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hey StratBoss -

I think the GR-55's guitar modeling is good. IMHO I think the Variax sounds closer to the real thing and WB can get you closer. But the the GR-55 has guitar modeling based on BOSS/Roland’s VG-99 COSM (Composite Object Sound Modeling). I know that a few pros did or still do use the VG-99 (like John Mclaughlin, Vernon Reid, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Frank Gambale, Jeff Baxter, Steve Stevens). It just boils down to which one sounds/feels best to you. One plus for going the Roland route is that you can put the 55's GK pickup onto any guitar - so your favorite axe can have all the capabilities of the GR-55 and still feel like your favorite gear. I use the GR-55 with a Roland Ready (MIM) strat so I don't have the ugly GK controller and divided pickup wires showing. I had a Vax600 with the GK pup on it and it was cool to mix the Variax real guitar with the modeled guitar and the COSM guitar sounds together with 2 GR's synth sounds (a blend of 5 noises from one guitar at once).

Only way to tell is A/B them yourself and then it will be your opinion not mine. I don't know what it says that both companies have respectfully discontinued these 2 products.