Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can the HX stomp replace my bass pedalboard?

H3R3T1K

My board is simple yet it includes a pitch shifter (Digitech Drop) which I need to tune down 1-6 half steps regularly. I heard this eats DSP and it's questionable whether the unit can handle it. The chain is: tuner --> pitch shift --> Ampeg opto comp --> distortion --> Ampeg preamp --> Mooer Radard with custom IRs. Can the Stomp handle that?

If you have a DAW and audio interface, I suggest doing a 15-day free trial of Helix Native, which contains all of the effects found in a Stomp (or LT or Floor) within a plug-in. That way you can try the modules with your bass (assuming you have a DAW and an audio interface) and see if something works for you.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

If you do decide to try things out with Native keep in mind that you will be able to include a lot more simultaneous blocks with Native than you will with the HX Stomp.  Ideally you would want to try out an actual HX Stomp with some kind of return policy and see how you like it.

Native has hardware DSP modes. You can set it to HX Stomp mode and it won't let you use mode DSP than the actual HW allows.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Native has hardware DSP modes. You can set it to HX Stomp mode and it won't let you use mode DSP than the actual HW allows.

Good point! Forgot about that. I don't have an HX Stomp and Native defaults to Helix/LT compatibility mode.  For the OP if you decide to test this with Native, this can be set using the 'Preferences' cog icon in the lower left corner of the Native plugin under the 'Hardware Compatibility' tab. 

Btw, probably worth mentioning for Native users in general if you are not planning to load the Native preset into an HX device or perhaps don't own one, that Native defaults, I believe, to Helix/LT compatibility mode(at least it did for me).   You can switch off some of the limitations imposed by the various compatibility modes such as max DSP or for example use more poly, amp, or cab blocks than Helix allows simultaneously by setting 'Current Hardware Compatibility Mode' = "Off".  All that compatibility stuff is covered on pgs. 15-17 in the Native manual.