Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt50 questions

Jessehendrixp1

So I've been on a hunt for a new(to me) amp for a bit........( I'm still using a spider 3 150 and decided to upgrade a level or so) so I wanted a Tube amp but wanted to stick with line 6 so I figured dt50 or 25 is my best bet...... Well I look on craigslist and their is a dt50 212 in very good condition and claims to have just been serviced  for $550... Can you guys give me some opinions on this does it sound like a reasonable deal? Is there any reason I should pick a dt25 over the dt50 I know they don't really make the 50 anymore and still do the 25????? Thanks for the input I appreciate it

Oh never mind I misread your post I just realized you said that you could look it lol...... I asked for a more detailed picture of the back of the amp via text message as the one on the ad was too blurry to make out..... when I spoke with them on the phone seemed like a nice person and said if I needed any more pics to let him know so I should be able to get it for you pretty soon I'd appreciate it alot

Well I went ahead and took a gamble on it and bought it the guy came down to 500 so I don't think I could have done better really and it seems to function properly would you mind checking it still for me I'd kinda like to know even tho I already bought it 

Pn 59-00-0072-5

Sn (21)A891S6040000987

I do have one question it seems to work well and all channels and all switches change things and what not but from what I can tell I only see two tubes lighting up ( I haven't actually taken any covers off to see good)..... I thought I read somewhere that this amp had four tubes in it do the other two not stay lit up constantly or light up at all?

If sound is coming out, then all tubes are working (and glowing). It might just be too much ambient light to see it properly. The 12AX7 tubes have smaller heating filaments than the EL34s, so that could be why it appears as if there were only two glowing.

Yea I actually turned all the lights out and I could see a very faint glow coming from them..... Lol thank you..... One thing I noticed between the dt50 and my spider 3 the dt50 has alot of just "blank" noise when nothing is being played...... Not terrible but I can hear a bit of hiss and a slight hum I guess..... Is it normal for tube amps to make alittle more noise it my first tube amp so I don't really know what to expect overall..... I remember when I was younger I had a 2x12 ss crate amp that was even louder than the Dt so idk I just thought I'd ask in case something wasn't right?

Excessive noise can be a sign of aging tubes, especially when there is crackling/popping. Aging capacitors and resistors create noise too, but there we’re talking about decades of aging.

A simple test would be to pull the 12AX7 tubes and see if the amp still has the same noise. In that case, it is very likely that the power tubes could benefit from a replacement.

Thanks for the reply...... There's alot of little tricks like this that will really help me out...... I'm still learning about tube amps...... Man the sound difference is amazing......but since these dt amps are getting older now I'm sure they are gonna require some maintenance........ Honestly I think I'm gonna leave it be because I friend of mine has a Randall ss amp and it makes more noise than the Dt does so I think I'm ok...... The only popping I get is sometimes when I switch it off it will do alittle pop other than that it is just once I let it warm up and switch it off of standby there is a bit of just "white noise" with or without volume..... Most amps have alittle but I noticed my spider amp has little to none

Ok so I feel alittle rediculous posting yet another ( probably dumb question) but the person I bought the amp from has given me the opportunity to return if I feel it doesn't work properly so I just want to make sure it's alot of money for me..... I'm pretty sure this is my last concern....... Ive noticed when I turn on the on switch, the board will light up and all but the voicing selector, class ab/a switch, and the pentode/triode switch has no lights...... Then I'm going to say 5-10 seconds or so passes and I can hear a click and they will light up and function correctly...... Is this normal opporation? Does it have to do with it warming up maybe?

11 minutes ago, Jessehendrixp1 said:

Ok so I feel alittle rediculous posting yet another ( probably dumb question) but the person I bought the amp from has given me the opportunity to return if I feel it doesn't work properly so I just want to make sure it's alot of money for me..... I'm pretty sure this is my last concern....... Ive noticed when I turn on the on switch, the board will light up and all but the voicing selector, class ab/a switch, and the pentode/triode switch has no lights...... Then I'm going to say 5-10 seconds or so passes and I can hear a click and they will light up and function correctly...... Is this normal opporation? Does it have to do with it warming up maybe?

I have a DT25 but the startup should the same and what you described is normal operation. If you did get the DT50 212 for $550 that’s a pretty good price I think. Good luck and rock on dude.

Jd