Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L6 link vs. XLR

joel4801

Anyone one run into issues with the L6 link in, not sounding remotely close to as good as XLR in?

I am using a Helix floor into the Powercab 212 +. I have tried every thing I can think of to get the L6 link input to sound just as good as the XLR.

The Link in is much lower gain and this highs are almost painful. The Powercab is set to FRFR or LF raw as I try to dial in a tone.

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I haven't tried it out, but I'm sure it's worth playing with a bit.

The XLR inputs have adjustable input gain levels on the PC up to +12dB.  The Line 6 Link may have a gain adjustment but it would probably just be a decrease in signal since it's digital, and would rely on the output gain of the Helix or whatever you're using. 

If you've not level matched the comparison then the tone should sound different due to the Fletcher-Munsen curves.  Though I'd expect the louder signal to have more bass and treble.

If things are level matched they should theoretically sound the same?  There's apparently an impedance option on the XLR/Instrument inputs (though I don't know if they affect the XLR).  If it's set to Instrument impedance.  I wonder if it's dampening the treble of the analog signal or something, which could make them sound different.  Maybe that might mean that your tone has too much treble and the L6 Link is accurate, but the analog impedance option is toning it down?

How does it sound if you record the XLR outs using L6 Link in or XLR in?