Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD 500 Stuck on booting up.

gergoretvari

Hi!

So as the title says, my POD HD 500 can't boot up. When i start it up, the only thing i see is the Line 6 logo appearing in a loop, and wouldn't load the effects chains. 

This is kind a complicated situation..

So i've bought this unit (used) like a year ago, and couldn't use it once. The guy whom i bought it from didn't had a power supply to it. It took me like 2 months to get one from Ebay (UK) which had the UK power plug head (so i needed a converter).  I'm from Central Europe (Hungary). 

It was strange because once i was able to boot it up to see the menu and such, but after days past and tried it to set it up with my friend it just gave up eventually.

We weren't able to boot it up, we also tried to update it with the Line 6 Monkey, but the pc just couldn't see the unit via USB. After we tried to install the drivers it gave an error.

I took it to a local guitar shop, where they replace the USB port since it was broken, but they also said that the circuit board was "short circuited" , and would need to be replaced. Which would cost me around 300 Euros, that's just Ludacris! (i don't really believe them, for my own reasons, but that's not the point right now).

I can get it to "Update Flash Mode" while holding the "down" button on starting up but my pc can't detect the POD HD 500. 

As you can see in the screenshots i can't update the Firmware memory and neither the Flash memory. 

Also when i try to update the driver it gives an error message ("Failed to launch installer"). After that it takes me to the Line 6 downloads site to download it, which is fine, but after i install it manually it still says that there is no driver installed. 

What can i do to fix this? Do you think it's a power supply or a circuit board issue? I also tried it with multiple USB cables..

Line_6_Monkey_cumWGI79Ok.png

Line_6_Monkey_e5qlCAdnog.png

Line_6_Monkey_kxG6RdPlef.png

Line_6_Monkey_zSOxKX5trF.png

It has happened to several people that the breaking of the USB port of the POD also causes damaging to its USB controller chip and that therefore it is necessary to replace the latter as well (and not the entire circuit board as you have been told).

If done professionally the repair would cost at least 150 euros or dollars, a used POD can be bought for 200, so do your evaluations.

If the USB system (port + chip) does not work it is impossible for the device to be recognized and to do anything that requires interaction with a computer.

The power supply also has its importance and must have certain characteristics, read the following old post:

https://line6.com/support/topic/53649-pod-hd500x-9v-adapter-not-plugging-in-power-input/?do=findComment&comment=321419

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

5 hours ago, hurghanico said:

It has happened to several people that the breaking of the USB port of the POD also causes damaging to its USB controller chip and that therefore it is necessary to replace the latter as well (and not the entire circuit board as you have been told).

If done professionally the repair would cost at least 150 euros or dollars, a used POD can be bought for 200, so do your evaluations.

If the USB system (port + chip) does not work it is impossible for the device to be recognized and to do anything that requires interaction with a computer.

The power supply also has its importance and must have certain characteristics, read the following old post:

https://line6.com/support/topic/53649-pod-hd500x-9v-adapter-not-plugging-in-power-input/?do=findComment&comment=321419

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Is there a chance that they would repair it in my local guitar store? or does it need to be done specifically by Line 6 employees?

also i bought the power supply from here (i think) :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LINE-6-POD-HD500-MULTI-EFFECTS-PEDAL-9V-3A-POWER-SUPPLY-ADAPTER-REPLACEMENT-UK/164036012603?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144  

8 hours ago, gergoretvari said:

Is there a chance that they would repair it in my local guitar store? or does it need to be done specifically by Line 6 employees?

Any professional technician could do the USB controller chip replacement job..

the spare chip you need is called CY7C68013A-56PVXC, you can see it in the pic below here:

20180321_071629.jpg

the chip costs about 10 euro..

you can easily find it through online electronics stores in your country..

In regard to the power supply if the specs of the one you have are 9V 3A as written in the linked ad it should work perfectly

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

46 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

Any professional technician could do the USB controller chip replacement job..

the spare chip you need is called CY7C68013A-56PVXC, you can see it in the pic below here:

20180321_071629.jpg

the chip costs about 10 euro..

you can easily find it through online electronics stores in your country..

In regard to the power supply if the specs of the one you have are 9V 3A as written in the linked ad it should work perfectly

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thank you. I will contact another technician in my city then. Due to Covid-19 it's going to take some time, but i will be patient.