Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69S - Who else likes the magnetic pickup sounds?

Hi all,

Been having a Variax now for about 2 years. For the last 1,5 years it did not really get much attention though. I have 2 other main strats with EMG pickups, one with the David Gilmour config and one with the Steve Lukather config. Both sound awesome to my ears and are being played most of the time

Few weeks ago I decided to give the JTV some attention again and I was blown away by how much I like the sound of the magnetic pickups. Especially the neck pickup is a super nice Bluesrock bite to it. Added to that the neck, which I believe is ebony, really adds to the tone of the instrument (my other strats have maple necks).

I guess the James Tyler spec really does do it's thing to these PU's? Or might it be that I was so used to active EMG's, that I did no longer know the sound of passive PU's?

What about you? Do you also like these pickups? Or you even dislike them?

P.S. treble roll-off is however horrible on the JTV when lowering the volume. Don't like that. With active EMG's this is no issue at all.

3 hours ago, superzult said:

What about you? Do you also like these pickups? Or you even dislike them?

The single coils are nice... noisy as f@&$, though...

P.S. treble roll-off is however horrible on the JTV when lowering the volume. Don't like that.

Love it or hate, you just described every passive pickup on earth (to varying degrees), unless equipped with a treble bleed...

• 4 weeks later...

I had a Variax Standard and JTV-69S. I thought the Standard magnetic pickups sounded better. I ended up selling the Standard and replacing the pickups on on the JTV-69S with SVL Daytona pickups - amalfitanopickups@verizon.net. I also replaced the neck. The only issue I have with that JTV-69S is that its sustain is a little shorter/weaker than my Strat.