Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can Helix NOT slave to incoming SPDIF?!?

JimDaneker

Hello,

I'm trying to set up my Helix in an SPDIF loop so I can route anything from my DAW to the Helix and back via SPDIF. But I can't find anywhere that mentions the Helix slaving to incoming word clock.. I sure hope I'm just missing something. I would hope/assume it just automatically clocks to an incoming SPDIF signal - otherwise what's the point of an SPDIF input?

I have a pretty elaborate studio setup, and running everything from the Helix as clock master isn't an option. Surely it can function in a SPDIF send/return loop?

I assume that this is an issue because you're NOT using Helix as your Audio Interface.

If you were, both audio and clock would be on USB.

Helix receives external clock over MIDI or USB (Page 65 manual Rev F).

In Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo set RECEIVE MIDI CLOCK to MIDI.

Connect a MIDI cable and configure your DAW to send clock via MIDI.

The point of the digital I/O is to eliminate AD/DA conversions when NOT using Helix as AI, as appears to be your situation.

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2022 at 5:35 PM, rd2rk said:

I assume that this is an issue because you're NOT using Helix as your Audio Interface.

If you were, both audio and clock would be on USB.

Helix receives external clock over MIDI or USB (Page 65 manual Rev F).

In Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo set RECEIVE MIDI CLOCK to MIDI.

Connect a MIDI cable and configure your DAW to send clock via MIDI.

The point of the digital I/O is to eliminate AD/DA conversions when NOT using Helix as AI, as appears to be your situation.

Correct - I'm not using Helix as an interface - just as an external FX processor for my DAW. 

And the "clock" I'm talking about is digital audio sync clock - not tempo/MIDI clock. When you connect two devices via SPDIF, one of them has to be a clock (sync) master, and apparently the Helix has no provision for this, unless it just does it automatically when it sees an incoming SPDIF signal - but I can't find answers to this anywhere.

On 4/1/2022 at 2:35 PM, JimDaneker said:

Correct - I'm not using Helix as an interface - just as an external FX processor for my DAW. 

And the "clock" I'm talking about is digital audio sync clock - not tempo/MIDI clock. When you connect two devices via SPDIF, one of them has to be a clock (sync) master, and apparently the Helix has no provision for this, unless it just does it automatically when it sees an incoming SPDIF signal - but I can't find answers to this anywhere.

I use a Scarlett 18i20. The setting you're talking about is in the Scarlett's settings. What AI are you using?

On 4/1/2022 at 3:39 PM, rd2rk said:

I use a Scarlett 18i20. The setting you're talking about is in the Scarlett's settings. What AI are you using?

Yes, but that only applies if you want to sync your Scarlett to the Helix; in that case, the Helix would be the master audio clock. I need to do the opposite: I need the Helix to slave to the rest of my studio and be a word clock slave. I run a large Yamaha digital console, multiple UA Apollos, and a Grace Design mastering controller/DA, all sync'd to a master clock. So, I need the Helix to lock to my Apollos.

OK, I've got no clue what you're talking about, way beyond my meager recording needs!

I'm following in the hope that someone will know what you're talking about.

Always happy to learn something new so, if you ever figure it out, please post back!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 10:30 PM, JimDaneker said:

the Helix would be the master audio clock. I need to do the opposite: I need the Helix to slave to the rest of my studio and be a word clock slave.

Hi,

AFAIK, the only member of the Helix range of products that has “word clock” functionality is the Helix Rack unit. It would appear that with the other models, you should connect the SPDIF on both the Helix, and whatever the master clock unit is, and set them to the same sample rate.

As this is simply a user group, you may need to raise a ticket with Customer Support for a definitive answer to the sync issue.

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@JimDaneker-

Because I wanted to know, I opened a support ticket myself, and THIS is what they said:

"The Helix Floor does not slave to word clock.  Only the Rack has that functionality.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Thanks,

Ben"

Bummer for you, but good to know!

• Upvote 1