Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression pedal - very little 0-100 sweep when using wah-blocks

TriviumMarv

Hey!

So I am using the Dunlop DVP4 Volume X Mini Pedal as an expression pedal with my hx Stomp. Everything works fine an the the sweep is 0-100 from heel to toe, except on Wah-Blocks. Just on these blocks the whole sweep 0-100 happens between the heel and toe position in about 10% of the whole way. So just in the middel of the expression pedal in about 10% of the whole way. On Volume Blocks etc it works just normal: 0 heel position to 100 toe position. Does anyone know what to do to fix this issue with the wah blocks??

Thank you! :)

Expression pedals are used to control variable parameters on electronic music equipment such as digital amplifiers, rack effects, stomp boxes, MIDI controllers, and keyboards. The pedals do not contribute to the sound themselves, but remotely control aspects of the device they are connected to.

KrogerFeed

On 5/17/2022 at 7:56 AM, TriviumMarv said:

Hey!

So I am using the Dunlop DVP4 Volume X Mini Pedal as an expression pedal with my hx Stomp. Everything works fine an the the sweep is 0-100 from heel to toe, except on Wah-Blocks. Just on these blocks the whole sweep 0-100 happens between the heel and toe position in about 10% of the whole way. So just in the middel of the expression pedal in about 10% of the whole way. On Volume Blocks etc it works just normal: 0 heel position to 100 toe position. Does anyone know what to do to fix this issue with the wah blocks??

Changing the parameters for the 'Max Value' or even the 'Min Value' on the Wah block under 'Controller Assign' on the device or in HX Edit may get you a sweep you prefer although it does impact the upper/lower end of the range. Try lowering the 'Max Value' first.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:56 AM, TriviumMarv said:

Hey!

The DVP4 has two modes, and you should set this to EXP Mode if you haven't already. It sounds to me like the TAPER of the pedal is coming into play... and it's natural for Volume, but not for anything else. 

When the DVP4 is In Volume Pedal mode it will have an audio taper... while in EXP mode it should be linear taper which is what you want. (NOTE: This will make the volume control a little strange, but there is a setting in the Stomps Volume Block to compensate for that)

This next suggestion is theory only... I don't own a DVP4 to try it myself. 

If you already have the DVP4 in EXP Mode, try inverting the polarity in the pedal (internal switch) and also invert the polarity of the EXP Input in the Stomp. This will keep the Heel/Toe in sync, but will reverse the taper (throw) of the pedal itself - placing the majority of the throw toward the TOE rather than the Heel.