Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Katant Artist MKII MIDI

awbrown

I'm just getting into my Helix... been in a box since since 2015 due to my on the road work schedule. I've updated all the firmware, etc., and I connected the Helix to my Katana via MIDI and also connected it via the four cable method.

I went to Preset>Templates>02A 4-Cable Method to begin experimenting with it.  I am using HX Edit also, and I see that the Katana is already responding to MIDI communications from the Helix as it is changing the settings on the Katana when I select the different first bank footswitches (01A thru 02D).

I've been moving around in HX Edit looking for the MIDI commands that are causing the changes in the Katana, but I can't seem to find where these settings are located. I looked in the Command Center, but nothing is assigned to anything here except footswitch 5 has "This footswitch cannot be assigned"... I'm guessing due to the looper. Anyone able to point me in the right direction here?

I know how to assign MIDI from the Helix to the Katana using the PC and CC values provided in the Boss manual, but the Helix seems to be changing  selections on the Katana that aren't listed in the list of commands available in the Katana manual, and I want to know how the Helix is doing this with its straight out of the box settings.

Thanks for any assistance.

In Global Settings>MIDI/Tap locate the setting MIDI PC SEND.

When this is set to ON the MIDI PC# corresponding to the Helix Preset is automatically sent.

If You're using PC#s from Command Center to control your Katana, turn that Global Setting OFF.

Thanks for the response rd2rk. I vaguely remember reading about this somewhere in the manual, but I wasn't sure if this is what I needed to do. For future reference, where would I find the corresponding Helix preset PC#'s that are being sent if this setting is on?

On 5/31/2022 at 9:18 AM, awbrown said:

Thanks for the response rd2rk. I vaguely remember reading about this somewhere in the manual, but I wasn't sure if this is what I needed to do. For future reference, where would I find the corresponding Helix preset PC#'s that are being sent if this setting is on?

Change Global Settings>Preferences>Preset Numbering from 01A-32D to 000-127. That changes the display from Helix Bank numbering to MIDI PC numbering.