Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stomp is summing my dual mono FX chains

i7718

This has got to be user error, but I can't seem to unravel it on my own.

First off, I'm using the zillion cable method and a guitar with a single TRS output (Schecter C1 E/A) that carries the coils on the tip, and the bridge piezo on the ring.  My guitar runs to a TRS ABY splitter switch that routes each signal to their own separate chains.  For close to a year I have used the HX Stomp exclusively on the coil side of my rig in 4CM with various amps/cabs and have never had any issues keeping the channels separated.

Last week I had the idea to integrate my bridge piezo into the HX Stomp's stereo FX chain with the intention of maintaining the two separate chains.  This is the path I came up with:

image.thumb.png.c46fad0f224cf0749c63e1aa4b135a48.png

I'm using "FX Loop R" on the bottom and "FX Loop L" on the top.  The distortion block does not affect the bridge piezo signal, and the modulation/reverb blocks do not affect my coils signal, but when I run out of the HX Stomp...each of these two chains is summed.

I have isolated the issue to be within the Stomp itself.  As the signals exit the HXS, they run independently to two different DI boxes that are then run into a PA with a mixer...each signal to it's own channel.  When I mute channel one on the board (which has always been the piezo by itself), I still hear the piezo bridge through channel two (which has always been the coils by themselves). The opposite is true as well, channel two bleeds into channel one the same way.

Has anyone tackled something similar?  Fingers crossed...

The thing to understand is that each signal path is always stereo. The blocks you have in it controls on whether the signal is processed as stereo or mono. So what that means is that when the paths merge back together, they both have left and right signals, so that's why you're hearing them summed. To keep them separated, you have to select the Merge block (the point where the paths join together ) and hard pan Path A and Path B.

On 6/10/2022 at 4:09 PM, phil_m said:

The thing to understand is that each signal path is always stereo. The blocks you have in it controls on whether the signal is processed as stereo or mono. So what that means is that when the paths merge back together, they both have left and right signals, so that's why you're hearing them summed. To keep them separated, you have to select the Merge block (the point where the paths join together ) and hard pan Path A and Path B.

That's new, I've never tried to click that block before.  However, I don't see a way to pan each of the paths, just the summed path.

image.thumb.png.41e29e59e2262fa57e1cff6802a3e781.png

When I pan left, everything lands on channel two fully summed.  When I pan right, everything lands on channel one fully summed.  Is there a way to pan one path fully left and the other path fully right or is this a dying dream?

On 6/10/2022 at 4:09 PM, phil_m said:

I think I found a solution.  It works as I'd hoped, but I'm wondering if there is a way to do this without using so many blocks?

image.thumb.png.c765df15d3be37f4c071fcb184eab250.png

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!!

On 6/10/2022 at 4:19 PM, i7718 said:

That's new, I've never tried to click that block before.  However, I don't see a way to pan each of the paths, just the summed path.

image.thumb.png.41e29e59e2262fa57e1cff6802a3e781.png

When I pan left, everything lands on channel two fully summed.  When I pan right, everything lands on channel one fully summed.  Is there a way to pan one path fully left and the other path fully right or is this a dying dream?

What you have selected there is the output block. What I'm talking is the Merge block - the area where the two paths intersect. You should see this:

image.thumb.png.7a810dc17e01c6d4d63719483c0d6ddb.png

On 6/10/2022 at 5:50 PM, phil_m said:

What you have selected there is the output block. What I'm talking is the Merge block - the area where the two paths intersect. You should see this:

image.thumb.png.7a810dc17e01c6d4d63719483c0d6ddb.png

Wow, that's awesome!!  I feel like I owe you a kidney or something now lol.

Thanks again, I couldn't have done this without you.

@i7718.... I see you have figured out the merge block with help from "phil_m"... I just want to offer another possible option. 

I don't know if this exists on the stomp, but on the Helix you do not have to MERGE the two paths back together.... just drag the lower path off the merge block  and a new output should be created automatically. Once you do that you can set the output options for each path independently. 

On 6/11/2022 at 9:01 AM, codamedia said:

@i7718.... I see you have figured out the merge block with help from "phil_m"... I just want to offer another possible option. 

I don't know if this exists on the stomp, but on the Helix you do not have to MERGE the two paths back together.... just drag the lower path off the merge block  and a new output should be created automatically. Once you do that you can set the output options for each path independently. 

It works differently on the Stomp, Stomp XL and HX Effects. If you drag it down to create a separate Output block, the outputs for the Path B output block will be Send 1/2, and they can't be change to anything else (the outputs for Path A will remain Main L/R). Also, if you're using the FX Loop block(s) in the preset, you won't be able to pull that Merge mixer block down in the first place.

• Thanks 1