Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp, allowing the 3 bottom knobs to control parameters in play view

jprykiel

Hi,
I love my HX Stomp, but there is one little thing I miss. The 3 bottom knobs have no function in play view. Of course, I can hook expression pedals to it, but these 3 knobs would give me three more parameters to control in real time, without the need to carry a MIDI controller.

I posted an idea on Line six ideas and I would like to give it a push, hoping it's allowed here. So if you like it, please vote.

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/1047624  

All the best,

JPR

On 7/12/2022 at 6:26 PM, jprykiel said:

Hi,
I love my HX Stomp, but there is one little thing I miss. The 3 bottom knobs have no function in play view. Of course, I can hook expression pedals to it, but these 3 knobs would give me three more parameters to control in real time, without the need to carry a MIDI controller.

I posted an idea on Line six ideas and I would like to give it a push, hoping it's allowed here. So if you like it, please vote.

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/1047624  

All the best,

JPR

Hi,

Right at the top of the first page of this forum is a “sticky” thread precisely for posting to let others know about your suggestions that you have added to IdeaScale.

I’m really not sure about what you are requesting for the HX Stomp.

I have a Helix floor unit, (not actually on the floor but on a stand), which allows me to reach over and use the small knobs to change, or adjust, parameters on the fly. Is this not an option on the Stomp - surely you just have to put the unit into Edit mode? 

Of course, all this is kind of pointless if the Stomp is on the floor - you have to bend down to modify any of the 3 knobs available. I realise you could possibly use the parameter knobs to change delay times and feedback in real time, but the same thing can also be achieved by using an expression pedal. 

IIRC, the whole point of a Stomp model was it should be “stomped on”, most things are done simply by using your feet.

It might be me, but I think this concept is a non starter.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Let me give you an example.
I have a preset that contains a reverb, a ping-pong delay, and a looper. I would like to be able to control these 3 blocks levels with these 3 knobs. With HX stomp, it is not a simple task as it requires navigating between blocks, and these 3 knobs are free of use in play view, so I suppose it's only a software decision to bring them to the control assign options, just like expression pedals.
I don't know much about Helix, and if it differs in this matter.
I'm a keyboard player and visually impaired to. My HX stomp often sits on a table and is hand manipulated most of the time.
The stomp layout felt right to me, I was using an M13 before so it seemed like a natural move.
Should I have chosen Helix instead, I don't know.

Any thoughts on this?

Best,

JPR

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 9:55 AM, jprykiel said:

Let me give you an example.
I have a preset that contains a reverb, a ping-pong delay, and a looper. I would like to be able to control these 3 blocks levels with these 3 knobs. With HX stomp, it is not a simple task as it requires navigating between blocks, and these 3 knobs are free of use in play view, so I suppose it's only a software decision to bring them to the control assign options, just like expression pedals.
I don't know much about Helix, and if it differs in this matter.
I'm a keyboard player and visually impaired to. My HX stomp often sits on a table and is hand manipulated most of the time.
The stomp layout felt right to me, I was using an M13 before so it seemed like a natural move.
Should I have chosen Helix instead, I don't know.

Any thoughts on this?

Best,

JPR

Hi, JPR,

Now I understand a little more about what you would like to be able to do with the parameters while in play mode. 

I said that by using my Helix on a stand, I can change parameter settings on the fly, but the fact remains that I can only change those one effect block at a time using the touch sensitive switches. Then I have to use the “page” buttons to navigate to other functions. Granted the Helix has up to 6 parameter knobs available on each page, but each is tied to a specific function- e.g. Time, Feedback, Predelay, Scale, Spread etc. You are asking for the ability to control the level of 3 different effects via the 3 knobs available on the HX Stomp.

Although I understand your situation, I still cannot comprehend how this could work either on the Stomp, or with the other units with more knobs. I’m not really sure how easy, or difficult, it would be to assign one specific function from 3 effects to those 3 knobs. The option to control various parameters is already available by using controllers, instant commands and snapshots. As I stated previously - I don’t really think this is a viable option, but at least you have posted it to IdeaScale where it has a chance of been upvoted by others who may well like the idea.

Hope this helps/makes sense - Good luck 

• Like 1

Hi,
thank you for your reply. I have added a comment to my idea with the explanation sent above in this thread. I hope someone from Line Six will be monitoring that idea and find it interesting enough. I believe it could be profitable to every user, not only visually impaired ones.
In a software world everything is possible you know, and if different parameters from different blocks can be controlled  via MIDI controllers it can surely be done with these 3 knobs doing nothing in play mode.
I do have another question though about connecting two expression pedals. I don't understand how it works technically speaking. All the expression pedals I know have a non-detachable cable that ends with  an RTS jacks,(ring tip sleeve). But the manual says to user y cable with standard mono jacks if I understand well.

"With a Y-cable (tip-ring-sleeve 1/4" jack, split to two tip-sleeve 1/4"
jacks), two expression pedals can be connected."

How can it possibly work?
Cheers,
JPR

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:55 AM, jprykiel said:

I would like to be able to control these 3 blocks levels with these 3 knobs. With HX stomp, it is not a simple task as it requires navigating between blocks, and these 3 knobs are free of use in play view, so I suppose it's only a software decision to bring them to the control assign options, just like expression pedals.

Brilliant idea, upvoted. 

On 7/13/2022 at 10:55 AM, jprykiel said:

visually impaired to. My HX stomp often sits on a table and is hand manipulated most of the time.

Even when the Stomp is on the floor, it would be useful. On stage I usually wear my "long distance" glasses, and my aging eyes cannot read the small text on the display anymore which makes it hard to find the appropriate parameter I'd want to be changing on the fly. Programmable knobs without having to go into the Edit mode would be great.

On 7/13/2022 at 4:57 PM, jprykiel said:

I do have another question though about connecting two expression pedals. I don't understand how it works technically speaking. All the expression pedals I know have a non-detachable cable that ends with  an RTS jacks,(ring tip sleeve). But the manual says to user y cable with standard mono jacks if I understand well.

"With a Y-cable (tip-ring-sleeve 1/4" jack, split to two tip-sleeve 1/4"
jacks), two expression pedals can be connected."

How can it possibly work?

Depends on the pedal's functionality and the Stomp's global settings.

I already had a Roland EV-5 when I bought the Stomp and wanted to use the other Stomp input for an external passive footswitch via Y cable. It kinda worked sometimes somehow but was a p.i.t.a. to figure out the correct configuration again if I'd change something temporarily. Eventually I simply cut the cable off the EV-5 and soldered a TRS jack socket as well as a TRS<>TS switch instead:

ev5mod.thumb.jpg.cc056ff76fc5dea3b7ce53f19a0c771b.jpg

Much easier to use now.

(That said, in the past few months I've actually reduced all my guitar and bass presets so that they work without any external switches or pedals whatsoever. Less is more! :D)

• Like 2

On 7/13/2022 at 3:57 PM, jprykiel said:

In a software world everything is possible you know

Theoretically, you can assign anything to anything in the HX family of products, by using the Command Centre. Although, how that could/would work in your example, I have no idea. I don’t have access to a Stomp, therefore cannot check the feasibility of this.

Also, it appears that contributor “lou-kash” has answered the Y cable question.

Oh, BTW, I upvoted your post on IdeaScale.

• Like 1