Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Adjustment of DI Line on Using Helix as Audio Interface

HelixUser333

Hi there,

I am a newbie to the Helix Floor and I hope you can help me with my question:

I want to record the DI Line (USB Line 7/8) from the Helix in my DAW.

I learned that I can adjust level volume of the effect signal channel directly through the presets output volume.

However, how can I change the output level of the DI line? 

My guitar is getting close to red levels on the DI, and it hasn't even active pickups...

Best Regards!

On 7/15/2022 at 7:34 PM, HelixUser333 said:

Hi there,

I am a newbie to the Helix Floor and I hope you can help me with my question:

I want to record the DI Line (USB Line 7/8) from the Helix in my DAW.

I learned that I can adjust level volume of the effect signal channel directly through the presets output volume.

However, how can I change the output level of the DI line? 

My guitar is getting close to red levels on the DI, and it hasn't even active pickups...

Best Regards!

Hi,

This is odd, because many users complain that the level of the DI signal is far too low.

You didn't mention what DAW you're using and on what platform. It may, or may not, be significant, but it's good to know what we are dealing with when trying to troubleshoot situations like this.

I have checked the level I'm getting into Logic Pro on my Mac and the stereo processed signal peak on USB 1&2 is around -5 to -8dB. The dry mono on USB 7 is about -24dB. It works for me and I use this set up almost daily. If the processed signal is too hot I can trim the USB 1/2 level from the final Multi Output block, and it is possible to change level on on USB3/4 or 5/6, but there is no level adjustment for USB 7 or USB 8 as they are dedicated out for the dry audio only.

Without a bit more information, it's very difficult to assess what is happening to your Direct Injected audio.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Hi there,

first, thanks for your reply.

I am using Cakewalk on Windows 10. Simply switching to Input 7 gives me peaks of more than -6db, approximately -4 or -3 db. I have a SD-5 Humbucker, but even with the neck SD-1 Pickup, also Humbucker, i am at about - 12 db. This is, of course with full volume from the guitar itself.

I tried switching on the Guitar Pad in the Input channel, it sets the level to about -12 db, for the sake of some sound.

Looks like the input block's parameters work on DI as well, however that not really solves my problem.

If you need any further parameters, please don't hesitate to ask. As I have mentioned I am new to the Helix, and I don't know what might affect the outcome.

Best Regards!

On 7/19/2022 at 10:01 AM, HelixUser333 said:

If you need any further parameters, please don't hesitate to ask. As I have mentioned I am new to the Helix, and I don't know what might affect the outcome.

Hi,

I’m Mac based and therefore unable to check how Cakewalk functions - I know there is a Mac prototype, but it doesn’t run on my OS. I have several other DAWs on the Mac simply for trouble shooting these sort of issues. As previously mentioned, many users seem to think the DI level on USB 7/8 is low.

The Input Pad options do have an affect on the overall sound of your guitar, it’s usually a question of which option works best for you in any given situation. 

I imagine this DI “hot signal” is happening on all your presets, even the pre-installed factory ones? If it is only on your own presets it would help if you could attach the .hlx example file to check out.

It might also be advisable to also check the pickup height on your guitar, although you didn’t mention if it’s clipping the input, just the dry DI Output. Is it possible for you to try another guitar (maybe from a friend) using the same presets.

It’s all a process of elimination.

EDIT:

To continue with the process of elimination, humour me and download a free copy of Reaper and see if you get the same results on USB 7.

link:

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Hi there,

didn't install reaper yet, but got some surprising results with my equipment. The bass guitar  and the acoustic i have didn't even show on the scale. My second guitar with a similar setup had a slightly lower output of -6 db. My third one, with a smaller pickup actually, was clipping. So, yeah, it could be dependent on the string proximity of the pickup. But all of them are not THAT close, and have a similar setup. It is for stage, when I have to switch guitars. The distance from strings to pickup is 3-4 mm I'd guess.

All on a factory preset, 'justice fo y'all'. Last time I had my own one enabled, so the output was the same here.

The real question for me is: Is there really no possibility to change the output somehow? I mean, every audio interface, that I have seen so far, has a volume knob for input...

Next step I'll try the same with Reaper.

Best Regards and thank you.

EDIT: Reaper gave me the same outputs as mentioned above, imo a little bit more. My session guitar(the first one, that had an output of up to -3 db) goes up to clipping even.

EDIT2: Battery of Acoustic and Bass was probably empty. EDIT again (sorry!). The cable was not working with bass and acoustic for some reason. Output is also very high.

EDIT3: I mean I could go for an empty preset and just record with that, adjusting the volume in the output and then using Helix Native. But the point for me is actually to have a preset with a sound running and to change it maybe afterwards...

And finally, the biggest mystery for me is: Actually the output with the mentioned preset was lower than the DI. For all guitars.