Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cell phone causing pop and crackling.

Bahnzo

I've been having issues with this on my PG (not a wireless). It happens both when I have it hooked up to my FRFR speaker and my PC. Has to do with cell phones causing interference with the unit somehow. Like I said, it happens at home when I have it hooked up to my PC, and I thought it was maybe my headphones, but at a gig we verified it as well with the speaker. 

Anyone seen this? Have any solutions?

Depending on what kind of noise you are talking about.... 

get a new phone. 

I don't mean that as an insult. You need a new phone. They are doing away those towers, your phone isn't going to work soon. In fact, I thought those towers were already gone.

On 8/7/2022 at 12:38 AM, pianoguyy said:

Depending on what kind of noise you are talking about.... 

get a new phone. 

I don't mean that as an insult. You need a new phone. They are doing away those towers, your phone isn't going to work soon. In fact, I thought those towers were already gone.

What towers? There was no mention of any towers in the OP and he didn't disclose his phone make and model, so what do you mean by 'doing away with those towers'? So perhaps somewhat premature to suggest a new phone is needed! And at a gig there will be a multitude of different phones around anyway.

@Bahnzo

Any phone or unit sharing the airwaves or mains can potentially interfere with signals and give rise to noise.  But crackling and popping could have other causes that are nothing to do with phones. It could also be to do with lighting or the electrical supply quality ....using a line conditioner e.g. a Furman, can be very effective to clean up and stabilise electricity from the ring mains itself and digital gear is much more susceptible to interference than e.g. a valve amp.  (In the US 'dirty' electricity can be a much bigger issue than eg in the UK)

There are certain other simple things you can also do to help avoid or mitigate such noise.

Check that you are using good quality cables and that your guitar is properly shielded and earthed, and that all inputs of your MFX, FRFR and guitar are clean. These can be safely cleaned with electrical switch contact cleaner but make sure its safe on plastics. I use Servisol Super 10 in the red and white can. 

Avoid plugging your Pod Go and FRFR into a shared socket with other devices e.g. your computer; use separate sockets for each wherever possible (unless using a Line Conditioner).  Ensure you are using a good quality balanced TRS cable to connect your Pod Go to your FRFR, rather than a standard guitar cable, particularly if your cable is longer than say 3m. 

Also, see if the PG noise gate settings make any difference to the noises you are hearing.

Hope this is of some help. 

On 8/7/2022 at 7:09 AM, voxman55 said:

What towers? There was no mention of any towers in the OP and he didn't disclose his phone make and model, so what do you mean by 'doing away with those towers'? So perhaps somewhat premature to suggest a new phone is needed! And at a gig there will be a multitude of different phones around anyway.

I didn't realize we didn't know about this stuff that I needed to spell it out. 

1G 2G 3G 4G 5G

It has been a while since I had a phone that made the noise, but I am pretty sure it was 1G that made the noise. And I didn't think they existed anymore, particularly since they are getting rid of 3G. 

On 8/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, pianoguyy said:

I didn't realize we didn't know about this stuff that I needed to spell it out. 

1G 2G 3G 4G 5G

It has been a while since I had a phone that made the noise, but I am pretty sure it was 1G that made the noise. And I didn't think they existed anymore, particularly since they are getting rid of 3G. 

Yes you do need to spell out when you come in from nowhere telling the guy he needs to change his phone when you had absolutely no idea what phone has has, and talking about towers!  Then you're surprised at being queried. I think its a reasonable assumption that pretty much everyone will have a smart phone...even my 90 yr old dad has one.  So to wade in assuming the OP was using an out of the ark G1 phone is simply ludicrous.