Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects amps ... possible?

gianchiar

I know it is possible to load impulse responses of cabs on the HX effects, but aren't amps profiles the same? A wav file? or a bit of code (like an effect patch)? Could I "trick" the HX fx to load an amp profile on one patch and a cab profile on another and do away with having an extra external amp modeller pedal? Or are amp profiles not just a wav file or effect file? Has anybody ever done this? I feel just cab IRs without an amp preamp section is not enough to make things sound like you're going through an amp. Any way around?Thank you! Apologies if I'm completely off the mark!

Amp and cab profiles are not wav files. Can’t be, because you can edit them. A wav file can’t be edited in real time.

IRs are wav files and can’t be edited. All the variations of the physical mic/cab an IR is based on are baked into separate individual wav files. That’s why there are thousands of them. You choose one IR at a time and load it - that’s it. If you want a different mic or mic placement you load a different IR.

If you want the Line 6 amp and cab models you will need a device that provides them -  not the HX FX.

• Upvote 1

Amp modeling and cabinet modeling are two very different technologies and methodologies.  Amp modeling is done through the mathematical simulation of the behavior of the circuits on an input signal going through a given amp.  IR's are a simple simulation of the sonic characteristics/behaviors of a specific speaker, cabinet, and microphone output.  It's like comparing the space shuttle to a bicycle.