Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Live at home!

Shu83kk

Hi everyone, I have a doubt that I ask you to kindly resolve!  If during a live or in the rehearsal room we connect to the mixer with an xrl cable at mic level, to be closer to these situations even at home isn't it convenient to take a small mixer?  So I could also see on the mixer if I go into clipping!  At home I connect to a headrush 112 via line level xrl cable.  Tell me yours please, I would like to create patches and level them while remaining with a configuration as close as possible to that of a live!  I hope I was clear and thank you very much in advance !!

On 9/11/2022 at 12:19 AM, Shu83kk said:

Hi everyone, I have a doubt that I ask you to kindly resolve!  If during a live or in the rehearsal room we connect to the mixer with an xrl cable at mic level, to be closer to these situations even at home isn't it convenient to take a small mixer?  So I could also see on the mixer if I go into clipping!  At home I connect to a headrush 112 via line level xrl cable.  Tell me yours please, I would like to create patches and level them while remaining with a configuration as close as possible to that of a live!  I hope I was clear and thank you very much in advance !!

It wouldnt tell you anything useful, since each mixer has its own input levels, preamps, gain stages and track levels (and FOH guy), so it could show clipping even if your Helix is delivering a perfectly fine signal. Set your presets to avoid clipping at helix level (you can check clipping on the output block). At that point it's up to the FOH guy.

• Upvote 1

I "pre gain stage" my outputs on every preset I'm going to use live into an actual mixer (either a QSC TM30 or a Yamaha MG12XU) connected to my Yamaha DXR12 so that all my presets are all dialed in at a consistent signal level.  It may vary slightly from mixing board to mixing board, but that's really irrelevant.  The signal is always consistent so it's just a matter of gain staging one preset on any mixing board at a live performance and they'll all be consistent for that board and normalized in volume levels.  It's a big time saver when doing sound checks.  You can do the same thing using the built in signal check at the output block, but it's much more accurately measured on a an actual XLR input channel of a mixer.  I always disable the Helix volume knob so that my outgoing signal on all presets is non-attenuated at Mic level.

I have a Mac book pro with logic pro and I could use it to level the various presets ok, but how should I adjust with the levels?  I've read some say - 24 to - 18 others up to - 12 or more, is that the right way?  Sorry for the stupid questions but I am new to helix and would like to exploit it as soon as possible