Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELP!!! hx edit crashed halfway though the 3.5 update!!

dvok64

On 11/3/2022 at 8:21 PM, dvok64 said:

It said "reboot and try again" which I did and now it only says "boot failure, entered update mode!" but hx edit won't connect to it. HELP 

It’s a big help to read the Release Notes for the update, which actually mentions the “boot failure” situation.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

Same here, I am stucked with "boot failure, entered update mode". The first time I waited like 45 minutes and then I tried to turn it off, then turn it on. Still the same message. 

I also try to install the Line 6 updater but I can't see the Helix, Can't see on Helix Edit either... I don't know what I can do...

On 11/3/2022 at 9:04 PM, dvok64 said:

As per my original post, that's not what happened. HXedit crashed during the update.

O.K. Not only is it a big help to read the Release Notes prior to installing the update, it’s also very important when seeking assistance from forum users to supply as much relevant information as possible. What computer system and OS, what version of the firmware are you updating from on what unit, etc.?

Simply saying “HXedit crashed during the update” is essentially meaningless without qualifying that statement! Please help others to help you!

In case anyone else’s hxedit crashes mid update like mine and then helix displays this:
03F29DA4-4C7E-4A87-BEDF-07BF7FC192C7.jpeg.ec024f2dbebfa06f37e2bfe0da113af4.jpeg

I had to reboot into update mode and use the updater and not hxedit because hxedit wouldn’t see the helix. FYI, make sure that the crashed hxedit isn’t still running.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:08 PM, dvok64 said:

. FYI, make sure that the crashed hxedit isn’t still running.

This is well documented and a standard procedure when trying to recover from a failed installation. You cannot reconnect via USB to launch the Line 6 Updater app if HX Edit is still running in the background. See bullet 4 below.

Maybe now you will realise why I said you need to provide the exact relevant information when asking for help! 

From the Line 6 Updating Helix/HX Notes:

Updating Helix/HX

IMPORTANT! Carefully read and follow the update instructions below. If you don't—and then run to the forums asking why it's not working—the interwebs will make fun of you.

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

Hey FWIW I had the same issue with the crash in the middle of the install (using Mac OS 11.7). I tried 10 different ways to fix it, but the final solution was shutting everything down and restarting the Helix in safe mode (hold down buttons 6 & 12 and turn on the power), then I started Line 6 Updater. The Helix showed up on the devices and I was able to reinstall the update. 

Here are some screen shots from the reinstall process that are very important notes as to why the update is crashing on Mac OS:

1006300812_ScreenShot2022-11-03at7_12_38PM.png.7ea9faf6a2a7dd07714b7e3245f336eb.png

211639553_ScreenShot2022-11-03at7_12_54PM.png.1dea65fe832e25a9688c190e9606764b.png

On 11/3/2022 at 3:18 PM, datacommando said:

This is well documented and a standard procedure when trying to recover from a failed installation. You cannot reconnect via USB to launch the Line 6 Updater app if HX Edit is still running in the background. See bullet 4 below.

Maybe now you will realise why I said you need to provide the exact relevant information when asking for help! 

From the Line 6 Updating Helix/HX Notes:

Updating Helix/HX

IMPORTANT! Carefully read and follow the update instructions below. If you don't—and then run to the forums asking why it's not working—the interwebs will make fun of you.

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

I have done all of the above, still nothing is working

i got an error when updating... Yes, I read the DAMN instructions!  People do read those you know,  Thanks to all who keep suggesting that!

The hxedit updated to 3.50, but updating the firmware caused an error... not the one listed.  I could not do a factory reset, or start the helix in safe mode.

I have a Mac Catalina.... I went to line6 software and selected helix and mac and got the list of softwared.  I downloaded the latest line6 updater and installed that.  Double clicking on it gave the apple error that it could not be verified.  I had to right click on it and click open, then I had to click open again on the next window.

After the updater installed, I turned my helix back on (no resets just turned it on). It still had weird characters on the screen, but it was on.  I ran the updater, it found my helix (even with the funky characters) and installed.  The updater then said my helix would restart and is ready to be used.... so far so good.  I checked and it does have the new stuff, so I'm guessing it is ok.

I am not sure if I need to do a factor reset now or not.  I'm guessing I do if I want to get any of the new presets that may have come with 3.50....

I am very thankful this worked.  I have a gig tomorrow and was started to panic.

So, for those of you who are having issues, please download the latest updater, install it, then run it.  turn your helix on and hopefully it will find it and work for you!  Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Guys, I had this same issue but managed to resolve it, here is how I did it....

1st, remove all Line 6 soft wear on your PC or Mac.

2nd, Download the Helix Drivers, L 6 Updater, and the HX edit.

3rd, unplug the USB from your PC or Mac.

4th, restart your helix whilst pressing in buttons 1 & 6, and you should be put in update mode (sorry I can't remember the exact wording)

5th, now open HX edit and it should recognize your helix, you should also get a connection and then be able to continue with the update.

Hope this helps......

P.S. Check out the new cabs, they are excellent.

Lol of course people read it, but sometimes those instructions don't work. I've updated my Helix several times and never had this issue. I found this old post which fixed it. Note button 12 and 6, not 1 and 6 as the post above this states.

- Quit HX Edit! Don't start it again until you're finished with everything following.

- Go here and download the Line 6 Updater (in case it's not installed on your machine already):

https://line6.com/software/

- Also download the "Flash Memory" from there (it's the actual update).

- Install the updater.

- Reboot the Helix while holding down switches 6 and 12 (this will take you to safe boot mode).

- Start the Line 6 Updater, select "Offline Mode" and see whether it finds your Helix.

- If yes, select it and choose "local file". Point it to the Flash Memory file you've downloaded.

On 11/4/2022 at 9:52 AM, eggwheat said:

I found this old post which fixed it.

That post was from “SaschaFranck”, back in Dec 2020.

Like me he has become weary of constantly typing, and/or, copy and pasting the same reply over and over.  He has also posted, in the last couple of hours, another list of instructions to follow for anyone who is suffering from a failed update.

Here ya go!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 8:20 AM, datacommando said:

That post was from “SaschaFranck”, back in Dec 2020.

Like me he has become weary of constantly typing, and/or, copy and pasting the same reply over and over.  He has also posted, in the last couple of hours, another list of instructions to follow for anyone who is suffering from a failed update.

Here ya go!

Thank you! You saved my bacon!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

^   all of that - including the referenced link helped me. 

Also helpful to note that when I rebooted my “bricked” Helix into safe mode, there where unintelligible characters on the display (and I thought I was surely done)  - yet the Line 6 Updater WAS still able to “see” my Helix and update it properly. Once updated don’t forget the factory reset or you will still get the nag that there is a software update available in HXEdit.

On 11/23/2022 at 3:33 AM, berkleegrad said:

^   all of that - including the referenced link helped me. 

Also helpful to note that when I rebooted my “bricked” Helix into safe mode, there where unintelligible characters on the display (and I thought I was surely done)  - yet the Line 6 Updater WAS still able to “see” my Helix and update it properly. Once updated don’t forget the factory reset or you will still get the nag that there is a software update available in HXEdit.

Hi,

Good to know that you have managed to update your Helix.

Note: The Factory Reset is an extremely important part of the update process and is recommended in all the Release Notes for each firmware revision. This reset will ensure that your presets are upgraded to the very latest format. This is particularly necessary as Line 6 has made further improvements to the Core system of the Firmware.

You will also notice that the “Rebuilding Presets” routine will happen whenever you add any older presets to the hardware, either your own from your backup files, or any third party preset that you may have downloaded from CustomTone or elsewhere. This is normal - don’t panic.

• 9 months later...
On 11/3/2022 at 11:09 PM, PaulTBaker said:

i got an error when updating... Yes, I read the DAMN instructions!  People do read those you know,  Thanks to all who keep suggesting that!

The hxedit updated to 3.50, but updating the firmware caused an error... not the one listed.  I could not do a factory reset, or start the helix in safe mode.

I have a Mac Catalina.... I went to line6 software and selected helix and mac and got the list of softwared.  I downloaded the latest line6 updater and installed that.  Double clicking on it gave the apple error that it could not be verified.  I had to right click on it and click open, then I had to click open again on the next window.

After the updater installed, I turned my helix back on (no resets just turned it on). It still had weird characters on the screen, but it was on.  I ran the updater, it found my helix (even with the funky characters) and installed.  The updater then said my helix would restart and is ready to be used.... so far so good.  I checked and it does have the new stuff, so I'm guessing it is ok.

I am not sure if I need to do a factor reset now or not.  I'm guessing I do if I want to get any of the new presets that may have come with 3.50....

I am very thankful this worked.  I have a gig tomorrow and was started to panic.

So, for those of you who are having issues, please download the latest updater, install it, then run it.  turn your helix on and hopefully it will find it and work for you!  Good luck!

Thank you so much for posting this troubleshooting info. It worked perfectly!!