Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Strange sound on low E string

yoMuzicMan

Got a new Shuriken 250, and the low E string makes an strange sound on certain models.

Playing the guitar by itself (not plugged in), the low E string sounds fine and similar to the other strings.  Using the magnetic pickup, the low E string also sounds fine.  But when I engage modeling, I can hear a bright overtone on the low E string.  It's more obvious using brighter models like the Strat. 

I've created a YouTube video to demonstrate playing the A string, D string, and then the low E string.  Each string is played using the magnetic pickup and the modeling to hear the difference.  If you wouldn't mind, please take a look and let me know if this is normal or if something is wrong with my guitar.  The issue start at 19 seconds into the video.

Thanks!

Sounds like it's fretting out. That saddle height may need slight adjusting. Have the set-up checked by

an authorized service center for a proper set-up check.

Factory strings are D'Addario XL-110's. Heavier gauge may require slight fine adjustments to the set-up.

Hi.

It's not fretting out.  As you can hear in the video when the magnetic pickup is being used, the low E string sounds just fine.  And with the volume completely off (not in the video), there is no buzz at all.  I have many years of guitar experience and setup to know if a string is fretting out / buzzing, and this not the case here.

It seems with some of the brighter models such as the Strat, the issue is very obvious.  When using the Lester, not so much.  But it's still there.

When I got the guitar which shipped with the XL-110 and I heard the issue, I replaced them with the same gauge strings.  So I'm still using 10-46.  So 2 sets of strings using the same gauge have this issue.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ron

In model mode, if the pick-up height isn't set right, the sound can warble.

Set-ups on these can't be treated like a passive electronic guitar. Model mode being an active mode,

a number of artifacts can occur with what might seem a normal set-up. Something to be aware of.