Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Recording Interface To Link With Stagescape

There is a simple answer to this, but I don't think it's what you have in mind. The simple answer is that the Stagescape M20d mixer is not designed to be used with another audio interface for recording, nor as a standalone audio interface for general studio recording purposes. It is designed for mixing and recording one-take live performances of all inputs/tracks together. That's it.

The M20d does a good job of recording the original inputs and the wet mix. It records this either on attached media (SD card or USB stick) or via the usb interface to a computer and recording program like Logic (no additional interface required). However, after this point the M20d does not support overdubbing or adding tracks to the original recording using the attached media. And the latency with the M20d usb interface to a computer is simply too high to allow the M20d to act as an effective audio interface for overdubbing or adding tracks in Logic.

As I understand it, and in my experience with it, the only effective way to build on the M20d's original recording in a studio environment is to import the individual WAV files of the dry tracks from the SD/USB media into your recording program, or record these tracks directly into the program on the initial take. Again - no other audio interface is required. Once in your computer there is no going back to the M20d - all further production processing must be done with your computer, including plug-in processing of the dry tracks as well as adding or overdubbing tracks.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the response.

I think what I had in mind is roughly what you are suggesting.

I love using the Stagescape for live stuff and the speakers using line 6 link are simply amazing.

What I am likely to do is buy something smaller by way of interface, and then for playback run an out from it into the stagescape?

Regards,

Dave

I'm not sure exactly what you want to playback, but you can use the USB connection on your M20d for playback directly from your computer without another interface. It's just that you can't synchronize that playback to simultaneous playback of anything that's already recorded on the M20d. And another interface won't help you with synchronizing.

But if you just want to playback precorded songs/tracks form Logic during breaks or whatever, the M20d will do that. I still don't see why you want another interface.

The last time I tried to play music from my computer through the USB input on the M20d, I found there was a high latency even for the button pressing (play, stop, etc). Didn't matter once the music started of course, but I just ended up plugging my computer into the "auxillary in" plug (1/8 inch/3.5mm).