Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tube power amp for a FRFR speaker with the helix?

Harpua11

On 2/7/2023 at 8:52 AM, Harpua11 said:

I am taking the plunge into the digital modeling world and want to try to replicate the feel of my all tube amp with a modern setup.  Is it needed and or is it even possible to find an all in one FRFR that is tube powered?  

Neither needed nor possible.

Tubes, by their very nature, color the sound and change over time, so, NOT FRFR, even if FRFR were a real thing.

It's NOT, in any absolute sense. Look to the published (if they dare to publish) response curves of several "FRFR" speakers for proof.

As to "FEEL", that is TOTALLY subjective.

Most high-end modelers and profilers have "deep" settings intended to affect those parameters related to "FEEL".

Only YOU can judge their effectiveness.

If you'd like an in depth look at the futility of your quest, go to the Digital and Modeling Forum on The Gear Page.

Thousands of years of experience there.

My advice - Ignore claims of "FRFR". Don't focus on replicating the "FEEL" of your tube amp. It's a rabbit hole.

Try several different "made for modelers" powered speakers. Buy the one that sounds and "FEELS" best TO YOU. Play yer guitar.

Good Luck!

FWIW - I'm currently using my Helix with a Catalyst 100 for grab'n'go, and a Powercab 212+ in RAW speaker mode (no tweeter) or "FRFR" mode for use with IRs.

I RARELY use the Speaker Emulation mode, as it doesn't sound all that good.

Full disclosure - I've never suffered an addiction to tubes.

• Upvote 1