Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DI-recording (for reamping) using RIGHT output (LEFT output to FOH)

vincentm77

Hi everyone,

the Helix Stomp manual includes a nice tutorial for doing DI-recording / reamping using the HX Stomp and USB.

But it must also be possible to record the DI-signal using the Right output ?! (so not through USB)

I play with the HX Stmp, sending the left output (mono signal) to our digital mixer (Behringer XR18).

I wish I could record my processed guitar tone (so what's coming out of output LEFT) and my DI-signal (what's going into the HX Stomp) so that I can eventually use the recorded DI-signal for reamping...

Anybody doing that ?!

Best,

Vincent

On 2/17/2023 at 10:56 AM, vincentm77 said:

But it must also be possible to record the DI-signal using the Right output ?! (so not through USB)

Hi,

Simple enough if you split the guitar input signal before any of the mono effects, amp and cab used for your processed signal. You could even use a send block to output the dry signal directly out of the 1/4” jack sockets.

Use something that uses very little DSP (Gain block) to create the split. Pan the signal at the split point to be 100% left and 100% right. At the mixer block at the end of the chain keep the signals panned L&R.

Essentially it’s a variation of what is happening in this video (below). Play around with the thing until you have the processed audio fully left and the dry audio on the right. 

Although, I cannot see why you would want to go to all this trouble to record like this when the facility to record fully produced guitar signal and the totally dry guitar tone direct to your DAW via USB is already freely available in your Stomp. For what you want to do you will need another audio interface and be putting your signal through another round of AD/DA conversion and possibly be susceptible to a more noisy signal.

Whatever - Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thanks a lot Datacommando.

On 2/17/2023 at 12:44 PM, datacommando said:

Although, I cannot see why you would want to go to all this trouble to record like this when the facility to record fully produced guitar signal and the totally dry guitar tone direct to your DAW via USB is already freely available in your Stomp. For what you want to do you will need another audio interface and be putting your signal through another round of AD/DA conversion and possibly be susceptible to a more noisy signal.

Well, with this alternative (recording DI input using jack socket output instead of usb) I don't need to use an extra computer for the DAW.

I ll just add a channel to record from my mixer...

I want to record during e.g. rehearsals...

I have a computer with a DAW that usually records from the mixer (USB).

If I wanted to record the DI guitar signal during rehearsal, I would have to record from my mixer and from the HX Stomp (USB), which never worked well for me.

Vincent

On 2/17/2023 at 1:21 PM, vincentm77 said:

Thanks a lot Datacommando.

Well, with this alternative (recording DI input using jack socket output instead of usb) I don't need to use an extra computer for the DAW.

I ll just add a channel to record from my mixer...

I want to record during e.g. rehearsals...

I have a computer with a DAW that usually records from the mixer (USB).

If I wanted to record the DI guitar signal during rehearsal, I would have to record from my mixer and from the HX Stomp (USB), which never worked well for me.

Vincent

Hi,

It wasn't immediately obvious to me that you were using the XR18 as an audio interface for recording.

Anyhow, instead of overthinking it - the easiest way to do this would be to set up a parallel path without any effects blocks along with your regular signal path as normal. Have the final effects output going panned to the 1/4' left and the dry panned to the 1/4" right output only.

See the HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English - Page 18 - Serial vs. Parallel Routing for details.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a418962611d636e7c51b/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

That should do it.

Hope this helps/makes sense.