Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Who's replaced the stock speaker yet

IndianRunner

Spent a day messing with a Cat 100 and seem to have found this amp just can't reproduce a high edge no matter what. I've tried everything treble/presence related and it all seems to hit a ceiling where all it does is distort the mid highs more. I had the POD Go nicely set up for a DSL20CR and everything was dialed in. 4 cable it into the cat 100 and all the high edge is completely gone.

To that end I'll also add that the DSL20 has a cream back in it rather than the original super fizzy speaker that came with it. So when I swapped the cream back it initially felt like top end missing but in reality it was just missing the fizz. So I have what feels more like a balanced speaker in the DSL with the PG 4 cabled. Move that to catalyst and nothing but a boxy sound with zero edge to it. Using the same settings when running it through the catalyst most upper harmonics are completely lost and striking a full chord toward the upper end of the neck completely loses most of the top end signal that ends up hushing all the upper notes.

So the question is, who else feels the stock speak in the cat 100 is boxy and flat and replaced it?  Anyone?

And before I hear the "they pick the right speaker for the amp" thing again, note that the speaker was most likely chosen for sales purposes first, then audio response. While the amp is versatile, it's only versatile to a point if it can't produce that biting edge. 

That's funny. We all have different ears.

I find that I can't get enough bass, which is OK as the edgier sound cuts through the mix better.

Go figure!

As for 

On 2/28/2023 at 1:29 PM, IndianRunner said:

note that the speaker was most likely chosen for sales purposes first

I call BS. Are you the same guy who calls himself "Truth Seeker" on TGP?

I found the stock speaker good but had fizz which I could not remove via eq without ruining the patch. I tried swapping the stock speaker with a vintage 30 and a Creamback M. Both removed the fizz, but I liked the Creamback M more. Both Celestions were 8ohms so there was a small dip in output, but easily adjustable via master volume and I play normally at low volume.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 3:57 PM, hevimental said:

I have an unused 50W 16 Ohm speaker. Can it be safely used in Catalyst60?

There may be a risk here, but I was able to use an 8ohm V30 (60watts) one time and another time an 8 ohm Creamback M (65 watts). I have a Catalyst100 and made sure I don't go beyond 50 watt setting... just to be sure :)

Good luck! :) 

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I made a bit different, I have a Catalyst 200, I disconnected the wires from both speakers and using a speaker cable adapted I connected one of the channels into a 1x12 Egnator cab with a Eminence Legend 1228 (8 ohm). Sounds much better, more details and less muddy, but headroom drops a lot compared to 2x12 stock.

After that I connected it into my 212 cab Marshal Origin (8ohm) with 2 Celestion Seventy 80. Well here the thing became alive, a beautiful beast of rock, punchy, beef, defined, sounded as good as my Carvin V3M tube amp in the same cabinet.
I made my tests with very loud volume, and for long time, without any issues and feeling no risk in damaging the amp as it is 4 omh, a set of 8 ohm speaker is ok.

I was thinking on give a try to Celestion FRFR speaker (F12-M150) on it, but I'm not sure if the amp output has some EQ designed specifically to work with that stock speakers, making those expensive speakers sound like lollipop.

Instead I have a powerfull G212A Active Cabinet from Harley Benton (sounds very good), and in this one I may setup the Celestion FRFR ones for an upgrade and more real FRFR.

My conclusion on my Catalyst 200, it sounds amazing with an external cab, a Celestion Seventy 80 seems to be a very good match for the amp.

If anyone has experience with Full Range Celestion F12X-200 or F12-M150 please share with us. :)

• 2 months later...

My experience after a week has been very disappointing.  It's a beautiful clean and mid gain amp but higher gain has this horrible high fizz to it that treble and presence don't dial out. I've ended up using my hx in the loop with the eq as an aggressive hi cut at 16k, 8k and a bit at 4 (or 6, can't remember off the top of my head.. using the 10 band eq)

It's powerful as a poweramp but sounds awful using IRs in the hx, and again too harsh without them. I'm almost ready to give up on modelling and just get a marshall or something. Very disheartened. 

Edited by Duke_Skellington
Typos

• 2 months later...

I can reassure all the speaker is the weakest link in this case. I used the direct out (which bypasses the installed speaker) into a Tech 21 Power Engine 2x12 and all the buzzy/fizzy high end disappeared. Just bought the amp on New Years Eve but it is going back. To invest in a better speaker is out of the question. Once again, still after decades in this game, Line 6 still lollipopting the bed where it really counts.

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2023 at 9:53 AM, ramosv said:

There may be a risk here, but I was able to use an 8ohm V30 (60watts) one time and another time an 8 ohm Creamback M (65 watts). I have a Catalyst100 and made sure I don't go beyond 50 watt setting... just to be sure :)

Good luck! :) 

I want to improve the sound and the weight of the amp so I will try a Celestion G12 NEO Creamback 8 Ohm. I think the amp has to work harder so mayby it never reach the 100 Watt level ;-) But start with your advice and start at 50 watt max.