Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 3.5 Firmware and using a Powercab 212

paulcanning

Hi, 

I use a Helix floor connected to a Powercab 212 via the data cable and have presets where I use the simulated speakers within the Powercab 212.  So a preset will have just the amp selected and the Powercab settings will select the speaker.  With all of the new cabs within the Helix 3.5 update I assume that I would be best to revert to using the Helix cab settings and use the Powercab 212 in a different mode?  Say FRFR?  Any help hugely appreciated, many thanks   

On 3/9/2023 at 7:09 AM, paulcanning said:

Hi, 

I use a Helix floor connected to a Powercab 212 via the data cable and have presets where I use the simulated speakers within the Powercab 212.  So a preset will have just the amp selected and the Powercab settings will select the speaker.  With all of the new cabs within the Helix 3.5 update I assume that I would be best to revert to using the Helix cab settings and use the Powercab 212 in a different mode?  Say FRFR?  Any help hugely appreciated, many thanks   

If you like the way that the PC's speaker emulations sound, keep using them.

At the same time, do experiment with the new cabs, they sound great.

It may sound cliche, but "If it sounds good, it is good" is the only rule, and you won't know until you try.

Here's a tip - try the new cabs in both FRFR and LF Flat (no tweeter) modes.

Also, if you're using stereo FX, widen the stereo spread on the PC to 125-150% and try different mics in the dual cab block.

57/121 is a popular place to start, with the 121 pulled back to 3-5 inches and its level boosted slightly.

Pan the speakers L/R (not necessarily hard-panned) and use the output block meter to see the relative levels.