Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp XL - "oper'n"?

DdC441

I bought the HX Stomp XL a few months ago but have only recently had the time to start learning how to use it. I've run into one problem whose solution I haven't been able to find searching the internet and this forum.

What does "oper'n" in a box/switch on the display mean? I tried to create a preset to use Poly Sustain and a tremolo effect, but the Poly Sustain wouldn't work. It was grayed out. I somehow managed to add a second Poly Sustain to the same preset. When back in Stomp mode the second Poly Sustain was replaced with "oper'n" and it was greyed out. I found that the first instance of Poly Sustain worked as long as "oper'n" was on.

So, what is "oper'n" and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks!

On 4/30/2023 at 1:51 AM, DdC441 said:

I bought the HX Stomp XL a few months ago but have only recently had the time to start learning how to use it. I've run into one problem whose solution I haven't been able to find searching the internet and this forum.

What does "oper'n" in a box/switch on the display mean? I tried to create a preset to use Poly Sustain and a tremolo effect, but the Poly Sustain wouldn't work. It was grayed out. I somehow managed to add a second Poly Sustain to the same preset. When back in Stomp mode the second Poly Sustain was replaced with "oper'n" and it was greyed out. I found that the first instance of Poly Sustain worked as long as "oper'n" was on.

So, what is "oper'n" and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have never encountered that error message reported in any posts on here. 

I’m with @PierM on this one - perform a Factory Reset in the hope it clears the glitch. Please ensure you have made a backup of your presets before resetting to factory defaults, and verify that your firmware version and HX Edit are the same.

You also mentioned Poly Sustain being greyed out - any item that displays greyed out mean there is insufficient DSP available to load it. Poly effects are real memory hogs and a single Poly block can take 50% of the DSP in one chunk. My guess is that trying to load a second Poly Sustain has pushed the DSP over the edge, as shown in the “oper’n” block you mentioned. It would seem to indicate a failed to load operation.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thanks for the help! I'll back up everything and reset to factory defaults. Just to prove I'm not hallucinating, I took the attached pics. One shows Poly Sustain's "Operation" switch assignment, and the other shows it listed at the bottom of the parameters settings. Poly Sustain works as long as "Operation" and "Poly Sustain" switches are pressed, so I don't think it's a DSP resource issue.

I also ran into the same issue with the "12 String" preset. I wonder if it has something to do with the Pitch/Synth category as a whole? Anyway, I'll reset and report back.

Thanks!

Xnip2023-04-30_15-50-11.thumb.jpg.b943c4206c5ad48e11b354e9f9d50274.jpg  Xnip2023-04-30_15-51-30.thumb.jpg.a8fb5b96d1d258b351626182390b8aae.jpg

IMG_0180.thumb.jpeg.3af7bce1bb8843269e465df956f30bf9.jpeg

On 4/30/2023 at 11:09 PM, DdC441 said:

Thanks for the help! I'll back up everything and reset to factory defaults. Just to prove I'm not hallucinating, I took the attached pics. One shows Poly Sustain's "Operation" switch assignment, and the other shows it listed at the bottom of the parameters settings. Poly Sustain works as long as "Operation" and "Poly Sustain" switches are pressed, so I don't think it's a DSP resource issue.

I also ran into the same issue with the "12 String" preset. I wonder if it has something to do with the Pitch/Synth category as a whole? Anyway, I'll reset and report back.

Thanks!

Xnip2023-04-30_15-50-11.thumb.jpg.b943c4206c5ad48e11b354e9f9d50274.jpg  Xnip2023-04-30_15-51-30.thumb.jpg.a8fb5b96d1d258b351626182390b8aae.jpg

IMG_0180.thumb.jpeg.3af7bce1bb8843269e465df956f30bf9.jpeg

Hi,

It would appear to me that you have pushed your HX Stomp XL beyond it’s capabilities. I checked on Ben Vesco’s site to check the DSP Allocation 

Poly Sustain

Line 6 Original

delay

hx

n

dynamix flanger

Line 6 Original

modulation

hx

Same issue can occur if you use 12-Sting in your preset

12-String

Line 6 Original

pitch/synth

hx

n

Check the full list for v3.5 firmware here:

https://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/

One mono Poly Sustain block requires 53.33%, or 69.47% in stereo, of the total DSP before adding anything else, such as a Peavey Vitriol amp block which can add another 49.33%, and you have passed the 100% of processing power available.

Always work within the limitations of your device.

Hope this helps makes sense.

You are correct! After double checking that both the Stomp XL and HX Edit were up to date, I did a factory reset. I didn't bother reloading my backup because I hadn't created or uploaded anything important.

After the reboot I created a preset with Poly Sustain and Tremolo. Worked right out of the gate with no sign of "operation" or "oper'n" ... may it rest in hell! I appreciate the help and advice.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1