Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix, Snapshots, Multiple Variax tones in one Preset?

jsivanan

I have a helix and a variax. I want to use snapshots so there won't be audio ramp-up when you switch presets. I want a Strat sound on Snapshot 1 and a Banjo on Snapshot2, for example, but it appears that inputs can not be changed between snapshots on a preset. Is there a way to alternate variax tones (under input) between a given preset's snapshots?  I'm looking at using two separate paths in a preset, but am not sure how to select paths in a snapshot.

Yes, you can do that. The Input block of a preset includes the Variax settings. Assign the Variax Model parameter to the Snapshots controller just like you would any other FX parameter you control using snapshots. Once assigned the Variax model changes when you change the snapshot. 

Silverhead, Perhaps I don't understand what you mean by the quote below. If the "snapshot controller" is the button for the snapshot, the suggestion doesn't work. The last Variax model selected persists regardless of the snapshot button pushed.

On 6/18/2023 at 7:03 PM, silverhead said:

Assign the Variax Model parameter to the Snapshots controller

No, the Snapshot controller is something you assign manually to any parameter of any FX block that you want to control by using Snapshots and their footswitches. It’s similar to assigning an EXP pedal to control the Vol or Wah FX. Rather than me attempting to reproduce the concept and operations here, I suggest you read the Snapshots chapter in the manual.

Here’s the simplest way to assign the Snapshot controller to any block parameter (from the manual):

“Push-turn … knobs to assign their parameters to the Snapshots controller automatically. The parameter’s values appear white and in brackets to indicate it is assigned.”

In your case, navigate to the Variax Model parameter in the Input block. Push/turn the knob. Save the preset. Visit each Snapshot and select the Variax model you want for that Snapshot. Save the preset after each assignment.

Ok. I'm able to assign a variax model to a snapshot, but sometimes I have to push the snapshot button twice for it to take. Is that because I have 2 parallel paths one for each model? Do I only need one path?

I wasn't clear. Once the snapshots have the appropriate model assigned (per snapshot controller), it's the footswitches that have to be stomped twice to get the intended model. Otherwise the previous snapshot's model persists. Why would you have to stomp the snapshot's switch twice?

That's very odd. You should not need to press the Snapshot footswitch twice to activate the selected snapshot, assuming that your footswitches and display are set up properly. Check your Global Settings -> Footswitches and examine / experiment with the options. You want the scribble strips on the display to show Snapshot names associated with the footswitch.

Also check that snapshot selection is working in HX Edit.