Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Vox (and others) Preamp models doesn't sound good (4CM and front)

JRSpin

Hey guys, hope you are all doing great today. Something is going on with my sound.

I've already tried a lot of the HX preamp models, whether in front of my tube amp or in the effects loop with the 4 cable method. Thing is, most of the time, even with the drive of the model all the way up, it doesn't "get there" it doesn't crunch. When using the 4CM, everytime I select the Vox or Matchless models, sometimes JTM 45, they drop the volume a lot, even if I put the channel volume and Master at 10. This happens when I try hooking in front of my amp too. Other models as the Placater's, high gain stuff, or the tweed models (not all of them) seem to work just fine. Sometimes I need to run the full amp model, to have that vox or matchless tone. Do you guys have faced anything like that?

Peace!

On 6/24/2023 at 3:26 AM, JRSpin said:

Hey guys, hope you are all doing great today. Something is going on with my sound.

I've already tried a lot of the HX preamp models, whether in front of my tube amp or in the effects loop with the 4 cable method. Thing is, most of the time, even with the drive of the model all the way up, it doesn't "get there" it doesn't crunch. When using the 4CM, everytime I select the Vox or Matchless models, sometimes JTM 45, they drop the volume a lot, even if I put the channel volume and Master at 10. This happens when I try hooking in front of my amp too. Other models as the Placater's, high gain stuff, or the tweed models (not all of them) seem to work just fine. Sometimes I need to run the full amp model, to have that vox or matchless tone. Do you guys have faced anything like that?

Peace!

The character and overdrive of those amps comes mainly from the phase inverter and the power tubes which are not part of the preamp. Their preamps themselves are relatively weak and clean.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 10:50 PM, Schmalle said:

The character and overdrive of those amps comes mainly from the phase inverter and the power tubes which are not part of the preamp. Their preamps themselves are relatively weak and clean.

Thanks mate! I guess I'll use the full amp of those models instead. 

Edited by JRSpin
Didn't specified that was the full model

On 6/24/2023 at 4:55 AM, JRSpin said:

Thanks mate! I guess I'll use the power amp of those models instead

If you get a sound you like from one of the Vox amps and want a preamp to do that sound:

You could try to match it with the Cali Texas Ch2 as an exercise / experiment. It's my fav preamp and very versatile. Try to get the sponginess / sagging right first by tweaking the master.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 7:21 AM, Schmalle said:

If you get a sound you like from one of the Vox amps and want a preamp to do that sound:

You could try to match it with the Cali Texas Ch2 as an exercise / experiment. It's my fav preamp and very versatile. Try to get the sponginess / sagging right first by tweaking the master.

Thank you my friend! I've tried that preamp model once. I'll it again and make some new tests.

How is your output set? My floor Helix has the ability to change the output from mic to line. The HX Stomp has the ability to change from instrument to line. Instrument would be lower. If it's on instrument, have you tried changing it to line. It should boost the signal. You do this from the Global parameters, not the output block. See page 51 of the manual. Hope this helps.