Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Multi output question for Helix LT

ARICHS

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a way for my presets to have two outputs, one that goes to a poweramp and cab via 1/4", and one that includes cab sims and goes to XLR. This is easy, but I would also like the 1\4" one to also include USB out, so that I can record to a DAW.

In a live setting, I would like to mainly use the 1/4" to my cab, but also have the option of plugging the XLR plus cab sims direct to FOH, but obviously I don't want my no-cab sim signal going that way too.

In the example here of one of my patches, I would like PATH 1's outputs to be both 1/4" and USB so it can go to the poweramp on stage and also means I can record over USB into my DAW. Having it set to "Multi" like it is here, means the signal without cab sims will also go to FOH via XLR alongside the signal from PATH 2. Obviously I don't want that, because PATH 2 has the cabs I want.

PATH 2 only needs to go to XLR so it can plug directly into front of house PA. This has to be set to XLR and not Multi because I don't want the cab sims from the Helix to be sent to the poweramp and then come out of my real cab.

I'm getting the feeling my options are "Multi" or have only two outputs, which would generally be 1/4" and XLR, but then for recording via USB I'd need to change that on a per-use basis.

I really hope I'm missing something easy here!

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 17.09.23.png

You can use the "Send 1" as your 1/4" output, while leaving your output as "multi".  That way you will have your cab sim on all outputs: 1/4", XLR, USB.  If you want to bypass the cab, then plug into Send 1 jack.  Simple!

Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 12.25.10 PM.png

However, I don't bother with this separate signal chain for my on-stage monitoring.  It works just fine exactly the same way it's going to FOH.  Plus it's better to put delays and certain reverbs AFTER the amp cab IMO, not before.  Otherwise you will not get that studio quality delay going to FOH because they'll be going through the cab sim.  So in your scenario, you will never be able to hear the same exact sound on stage as is going to the PA potentially.  Hence this is another argument against your proposed setup.  I like to hear exactly what is going to the PA: all the delays/reverb. 

Regarding effects before the amp/cab: certain effects are meant to be in the chain before the amp, like the Fender '63 reverb unit, for example.  Yet, there are certain delays/reverbs that should be run after the cab, like the "hall" reverb, or the stereo ping-pong delay.

My setup is my Helix to FOH via XLR (L/R).  For stage volume I use Mooer Baby Bomb that I run out of the 1/4" Mono/Left into a 12" speaker cab.  I control my 1/4" output with the volume knob, while the XLR volume is fixed at microphone level.

Sounds great, no need to remove the cab sim.  I've spent quite a lot of time trying to experiment with all that stuff, and came to a conclusion that a clean power amp can run my chain as is and it will sound good enough to play gigs without a PA or simply for stage volume. 

To each his own, but IMO, simple is always better! 

(My source: I play 2.5 hour shows all over the world, so I've pretty much ironed out all the kinks. )

• Thanks 1

I'm going to change some of your terms. I am going to call each line a Path. The upper line is Path 1 and the lower is Path 2. You already know how to create two outputs for a path as I describe them so you may have already figured this out. I'm guessing part of the problem is you do not have enough DSP to have the same patch on each path as I described them. If you do have enough you can create two outputs on one path and leave the other path with one output. That's the only way I can figure to do this. I'll keep thinking. The ability to assign just two outputs to one of the output blocks is a pretty good idea. Perhaps you should IdeaScale it?

I just read theElevators reply. That's a great idea.

• Upvote 1

@theElevators

Using the Send block is a great suggestion, I'll try that out.

On 6/26/2023 at 5:27 PM, theElevators said:

My setup is my Helix to FOH via XLR (L/R).  For stage volume I use Mooer Baby Bomb that I run out of the 1/4" Mono/Left into a 12" speaker cab.  I control my 1/4" output with the volume knob, while the XLR volume is fixed at microphone level.

This is a very similar setup to what I have in mind. It allows me to keep the stage volume coming from a real cab, where I can control the feedback how I like it, while sending the cab sim signal to FOH. I'm not that concerned about my stage sound from the real cab being slightly different to what comes out of the PA, but I do choose Marshall sims when I use a Marshall real cab for example.

Thanks!