Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Requesting Steel Drum effect

kdrottar

On 6/29/2023 at 4:35 PM, kdrottar said:

Could possibly be some combination of existing effects that sounds like a steel drum. Any suggestions, help greatly appreciated. 

Here’s an old trick.

There is an old post somewhere in here about creating various “drum” sounds with a guitar. Weaving a playing card between the strings, dollar bills, and matchsticks were some options IIRC.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I have tried tie wrap or guitar pick in the strings and for the amount of time I need the effect, it works and the price is right... until it inevitably falls out mid song. The EHX stuff sounds great. Yikes! POG 2 is $400 and a Poly Chorus is discontinued/unobtainium. Too rich for me. Any alternatives within Helix itself? Thanks for the quick replies!

On 6/30/2023 at 10:51 PM, kdrottar said:

I have tried tie wrap or guitar pick in the strings and for the amount of time I need the effect, it works and the price is right... until it inevitably falls out mid song. The EHX stuff sounds great. Yikes! POG 2 is $400 and a Poly Chorus is discontinued/unobtainium. Too rich for me. Any alternatives within Helix itself? Thanks for the quick replies!

Here is a patch that does the basic trick that is shown in the EHX video (see above). Dampen the strings (see above) and go from there.

Caribbean Steel