Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help the Newbie

Jharrismsu

I absolutely love my Helix LT, and I've watched hours of YouTube, but have a question that is probably easy for some of you.  I have eight stomp box "windows" I can see on my LT.  I'm pretty sure I have more blocks than that in the chain.  If I have a pedal that is always on, like a reverb, can I assign that to a block, but not a footswitch, enabling me to use more pedals that I can see in stomp mode?  Essentially, I could go from eight pedals to nine by just hiding that pedal that is "always on."  Is that possible?

Yes you can do that. You can assign the Bypass (On/Off) feature, and remove the assignment, of any block to any footswitch. You can also have the multiple blocks controlled by a single footswitch, and you can customize the text that appears for any footswitch.

Full details of all related capabilities can be found in the Bypass Assign chapter of the manual.

https://line6.com/support/manuals/helixlt

On 6/30/2023 at 7:14 AM, Jharrismsu said:

I absolutely love my Helix LT, and I've watched hours of YouTube, but have a question that is probably easy for some of you.  I have eight stomp box "windows" I can see on my LT.  I'm pretty sure I have more blocks than that in the chain.  If I have a pedal that is always on, like a reverb, can I assign that to a block, but not a footswitch, enabling me to use more pedals that I can see in stomp mode?  Essentially, I could go from eight pedals to nine by just hiding that pedal that is "always on."  Is that possible?

In Helix terminology "virtual guitar pedals", amps, cabs are all referred to as "blocks".  Whatever looks like a little square in your preset view, is a block. 

You can assign some pedals to stomp buttons.  You don't need to assign every single block to stomp buttons.  Case and point: amp/cab does not need to be bypassed/un-bypassed; they are in your preset, but they don't need to be turned on/off. 

You can assign multiple blocks to the same button.  For example, you can assign distortion and reverb to the same button.

When you do bypass assign, the button press flips the bypass status of the block.  If the block is currently bypassed, you press it and it will be un-bypassed.  You can also configure it to operate in momentary switching mode: press and hold the button rather than press once. 

With multiple blocks assigned to the same button, you can "turn things on/off".  For example: you can have one button that bypasses 2 blocks and un-bypasses 3 other blocks.  So if you want to go from reverb'y chorus clean sound to distorted sound with delay you simply have:

Chorus un-bypassed, reverb un-bypassed, distortion bypassed, delay bypassed.  Press the button and you have: bypassed, reverb bypassed, distortion un-bypassed, delay un-bypassed.

My suggestion is to use snapshots, however -- way more flexible.  It's the best thing about the Helix honestly.

Thank you!   Yes, I've learned to use snapshots to accomplish much of what you mention, but your input makes me love my Helix LT even more!   If you say it can be done, it can be done.  Now, I won't give up when I get frustrated.  I know it can be done.  Thanks to all!