Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshots with different Amps

steveglock

Hi again. Still relatively new to Helix.  I prefer to make changes in HX Edit versus on the LT, but of course if that's the only way......

Yesterday, I wanted to compare several amps and updated 6 Snapshots within a single preset.  I had already stored the amp models as Favorites. I selected Snapshot 1, changed the Amp model (from Favorites), renamed the Snapshot (e.g. Tweed Blues), Ctl-S to save. Then selected Snapshot 2 and repeated the steps above with Essex A30, Ctl-S, and again and again through 6 Snapshots. 

At that time, I was able to move from Snapshot to Snapshot and see the expected Amp models. 6 Snapshots with 6 different amps. I then grabbed my Variax, sampled the various amps and did some comparisons. 

I did make a couple of modifications to Drive levels on one of the snapshot amps on Helix LT - press and turn {2.0}. Just in case that explains all this. 

Today, I decided to change the Amps to Preamps. After changing the first Snapshot (HX Edit), all the Snapshots now have that Preamp.  Unlike yesterday when the amp changes stuck after I updated them. I did not use Favorites this time. 

I have found a single YouTube video regarding changes to Snapshot block PARAMETERS in HX Edit.  It doesn't cover updating the block itself. Pretty convoluted - shouldn't making changes to ALL Snapshots be the exception? Make that convoluted. Default to edited Snapshot changes only update the Snapshot in focus. 

Anyway, can anyone help explain how to do this? Maybe next time I want a different reverb in my lead Snapshot. 

Thanks in advance! 

Steve

You cannot have different amps, or reverbs, or anything, in different snapshots.  A preset has certain blocks, and snapshots can only change the on/off setting for those blocks or parameters within those blocks.  I'm not sure what you were doing before (presets maybe?) but you didn't have 6 different amps in snapshots on the same preset.

What you can do, and keep in mind this will take a lot of DSP, is have multiple amp blocks in the preset and use snapshots to turn them on/off.  I made a preset like this once that had all 3 channels of the SLO, just for fun.  But it really takes so much DSP it's not worth it, IMHO.

Thanks for the quick response Todd! That makes sense and i have a better understanding of how Snapshots work. 

Now if I could only figure out how I heard 6 distinctly different tones out of those 6 Snapshots yesterday. ;) Archetype won the best clean sound in the battle of the amps. Tomorrow I'll put those amps in separate presets and try again. Thanks again! 

On 7/19/2023 at 2:20 AM, toddkc said:

You cannot have different amps, or reverbs, or anything, in different snapshots.  A preset has certain blocks, and snapshots can only change the on/off setting for those blocks or parameters within those blocks.  I'm not sure what you were doing before (presets maybe?) but you didn't have 6 different amps in snapshots on the same preset.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:02 AM, steveglock said:

Thanks for the quick response Todd! That makes sense and i have a better understanding of how Snapshots work. 

Now if I could only figure out how I heard 6 distinctly different tones out of those 6 Snapshots yesterday. ;) Archetype won the best clean sound in the battle of the amps. Tomorrow I'll put those amps in separate presets and try again. Thanks again! 

Huh?

Yes, you can depending on how much DSP you have available, and all the amps, cabs and effects you plan to use are already in the preset. It’s quite normal to have 2 different amps and cabs (single or dual) on parallel paths to switch between clean, crunch and dirty driven tones. Also, could choose to swap between a Hall and Plate reverb using Snapshots to turn them on/off. Then of course you have the option of modifying any parameters you wish (up to 64 total). Therefore, it’s possible to change delay/reverb times and mix levels, distortion-overdrive on or off, along with changing amp drive levels and other tone controls. Plus you could move mic positions on the cab. Using various combinations of these techniques it is quite feasible that you could create 6 varying tones in a single preset using the 8 Snapshots available in Helix. Even easier if you use Path 1 for Clean and Path 2 for Dirty = 1 DSP for each path - yay!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

Edited by datacommando
Added video

On 7/19/2023 at 6:45 AM, datacommando said:

Huh?

Yes, you can depending on how much DSP you have available, and all the amps, cabs and effects you plan to use are already in the preset. It’s quite normal to have 2 different amps and cabs (single or dual) on parallel paths to switch between clean, crunch and dirty driven tones. Also, could choose to swap between a Hall and Plate reverb using Snapshots to turn them on/off. Then of course you have the option of modifying any parameters you wish (up to 64 total). Therefore, it’s possible to change delay/reverb times and mix levels, distortion-overdrive on or off, along with changing amp drive levels and other tone controls. Plus you could move mic positions on the cab. Using various combinations of these techniques it is quite feasible that you could create 6 varying tones in a single preset using the 8 Snapshots available in Helix. Even easier if you use Path 1 for Clean and Path 2 for Dirty = 1 DSP for each path - yay!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

That's exactly what I said...  /shrug

On 7/19/2023 at 1:48 PM, toddkc said:

That's exactly what I said...  /shrug

Maybe the way it's worded - because quite obviously you can have different amps, or reverbs, or anything else available, in up to 8 different snapshots - as long as they are already in the preset first.

Although my post was mainly to point out that its very easy to create a multi toned preset with a dual amp set up.

Mmm... and a down vote. O.K. fine.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:34 AM, datacommando said:

Maybe the way it's worded - because quite obviously you can have different amps, or reverbs, or anything else available, in up to 8 different snapshots - as long as they are already in the preset first.

Although my post was mainly to point out that its very easy to create a multi toned preset with a dual amp set up.

Mmm... and a down vote. O.K. fine.

The downvote is just in jest...I'll remove it if it has any significance or bothers you, no offense intended of course :)

But dude...you quoted me with a HUH? like I had no clue what I was talking about, then said the exact same thing I did just in more words.  I literally told them to use multiple amp blocks.  I'm not offended or anything, just poking fun.

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, toddkc said:

The downvote is just in jest...I'll remove it if it has any significance or bothers you, no offense intended of course :)

No problem - this place has a lack of useful Emojis, but there is one Ha Ha, for amusement.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:02 AM, steveglock said:

If you figure out a way to do that you could get a very popular YouTube video out of it I bet  :)

Thank you both. I learned a lot from each response. Putting different amps in 6-8 different snapshots seemed like a good way to compare them (quick footswitch taps back and forth). But DSP limits and basic snapshot design make that impossible for more than a small few. I did it with Presets and got what I needed.  Thanks again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1