Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp + ToneX + Powercab HELP!!

adagosto

Hi all. Hope all is well.

I've been using the HX Stomp XL pretty successfully, largely inpart to this forum! But I'm looking to expand my tones and really hoping to get even better Vox AC30 tones. Based on what I've heard through YouTube, the ToneX seems like a great partnership with my Stomp. So I gave it a try. But I have to be honest, I'm not finding as many great and inspiring tones in there.  I can say the ToneX seems more touch responsive than the Helix. I'm thinking the problem is the output source....the Powercab.

Does anyone have experience with the Stomp, ToneX and Powercab? Can you pass on some words of wisdom here on best technique to getting this all to sound as good as it can get? I almost always have my Powercab set to FLAT and use Helix cab blocks.

Btw...I have the ToneX in my Stomp Effects loop. I'm using a Send L block (instrument level) to the ToneX and I'm returning that to the Stomp with a Return R block (line level).

Thanks for the help.

ToneX in the HXS Loop.

Send L = INSTRUMENT LEVEL

Return R = LINE LEVEL

Return R = INSTRUMENT LEVEL

NOTE: I was incorrect. IK Support has affirmed that the Output is INSTRUMENT level.

Yes, you use both loops and requires two Blocks - SEND L Dry Thru = -120db (OFF); RETURN R MIX = 100%.

Use ToneX FULL captures. I like the Amalgam Audio captures. I don't use Vox anything, but Voxies seem to like the Amalgam Vox captures a lot.

Set the INPUT TRIM on the ToneX so that hard playing shows "OK" with all of your guitars. CRITICAL! That's +7.5 for me - Strat, Tele, LP, PRS C24.

My hottest pups are SD JB in the bridge of an Ibanez.

Put the Powercab on either FRFR or LF Flat, whichever sounds better to you.

Set the Output from the HXS presets to the Powercab Input so that hard playing just hits the amber on the clip indicator, but still mostly green.

Be aware that if you have both the ToneX and HXS (and/or Powercab) connected via USB to your computer you could experience a high frequency noise.

That's a USB ground thing. Get a Pyle PM400 Hum eliminator or equivalent, but don't spend a lot of money on it, the Pyle works fine (Amazon - $30).

One side (it's stereo) goes between the HXS and ToneX (in the loop), the other between the HXS Output and Powercab Input.

Some might recommend the expensive dedicated USB dongle thingies. The one I have made the problem worse.

On 8/28/2023 at 8:58 PM, rd2rk said:

ToneX in the HXS Loop.

Return R = LINE LEVEL

Yes, you use both loops and requires two Blocks - SEND L Dry Thru = -120db (OFF); RETURN R MIX = 100%.

This was a noticeable fix!

On 8/28/2023 at 8:58 PM, rd2rk said:

Use ToneX FULL captures. I like the Amalgam Audio captures. I don't use Vox anything, but Voxies seem to like the Amalgam Vox captures a lot.

Set the INPUT TRIM on the ToneX so that hard playing shows "OK" with all of your guitars. CRITICAL! That's +7.5 for me - Strat, Tele, LP, PRS C24.

My hottest pups are SD JB in the bridge of an Ibanez.

When you say FULL captures are you meaning both the Amp and the Cab?

Do you have experience with Amalgam Vox captures? In researching this ToneX thing, I have come across a lot of people saying that you really need to get some good third party captures to get the best sound. Out of the box is not the greatest? Is this your experience?

I have to figure out how to check that the Input Trim says "OK". I don't know how to do that, but I'm playing a strat too and I have the ToneX set to 7.5 on the trip. I use FLAT on the Powercab, but I will play around with different settings tomorrow.

So far, just doing what you said made me like the Superlead Marshall capture MORE than the Helix SuperLead. I set the gain about 3.5 and rolloff my tone knob and I can get a really nice bluesy sound.

Thank you as always!

On 8/28/2023 at 10:53 PM, adagosto said:

When you say FULL captures are you meaning both the Amp and the Cab?

Yes. I tried DI captures with Helix cabs and with "matching" Powercab speaker emulations and, at least with the Amalgam captures, the FULL captures sounded best. I think it's because the capture captures the actual interaction between the speaker and the amp. Powercab "LF Flat" works best for me.

Do you have experience with Amalgam Vox captures?

I have the Amalgam Vox captures (I have almost all of his sets), but like I said, I'm not into whatever it is about Vox that other people like, so I'm not the best person to comment. But, again, Voxie people like his Vox captures.

I have to figure out how to check that the Input Trim says "OK". I don't know how to do that, but I'm playing a strat too and I have the ToneX set to 7.5 on the trip.

What's a "trip"?

Go into the ToneX Global settings and navigate to "Trim In". Play hard (it doesn't register until you play) and you'll see on the right side of the screen "Low", "OK" or "HI". Turn up or down till you get an OK reading on all of your guitars.

• Upvote 1

On 8/28/2023 at 9:53 PM, adagosto said:

ToneX in the HXS Loop.

Return R = LINE LEVEL

This was 99% of my problem.

I have to do a little more research about how to volume level these two devices but I've found that I need to increase my RETURN R block up to +6db max to get a good strong return signal.

That said, the ToneX has come to life. I really like the sounds but most importantly and what is different, I LOVE the feel of it. It really sounds and feels like an amp in the room. The Helix models all sound amazing, but the feel of the ToneX is most definitely up a level.

I just leave the ToneX Output level maxxed and have no shortage of return strength with the Amalgam captures.

He at least employs a certain consistency - drive a bit louder than clean, hi-gain louder than that - but even there it varies a bit between capture sets.

IOW - remember that output levels will vary between captures and between capture creators.

The only way you're going to get them evened out is to dedicate Helix presets to specific captures.

That's easy with my Helix, as I have a setlist dedicated to ToneX.

But since I also have several sets of ToneX captures, that all goes out the window when I switch between them.

Bottom line (for me) is that once I settle on a specific set of captures that I keep loaded in the pedal (so many captures, so little time!) I can level them all in the pedal and even transfer the names to my Helix so I don't need to have the computer hooked up to see the full names.

It would be nice if IK made the pedal contents visible in the iOS app, since an iPad is easier to deal with than a laptop when away from home.

It would also be VERY nice if they fixed the app so that it worked like HX Edit - changes you make in either the pedal or the app to be reflected and saved on both.

• Upvote 1

Few things....

rd2rk is my hero!!

This ToneX really, really, really sounds good. I'm am very impressed. I'll give the Helix tone and feel an 8.0/10 and the ToneX a solid 9.0/10. It's well worth the modest investment. The Powercab is a great match and the FL FLat setting is perfect. The pairing really does sound like a tube amp in my room and its coming out of the Line PC!

I picked up a TC Electronics X3 so I could offload some effects (Mod/Del/Verbs) and use the Stomp's DSP or multi-amp, multi-cab presets. It works great. But with the ToneX, I'm off loading all the amp and cabs from the Stomp. I don't even need the X3 anymore!

So far I really dig all of the Fender models and the Marshall SuperLead 100 is awesome. I need to find a JTM45 now. But you are so right...I downloaded a free AC30 capture and I like it a lot more than the stock one in the box.

On 8/29/2023 at 10:01 AM, rd2rk said:

...so many captures, so little time!

Thank you again. This is fun!!!

• Upvote 1

If you want to have even more fun, definitely buy an Amalgam capture for your Tonex! Get one of the "Essential" packs rather than (DI + cab)  packs. He has some excellent Vox captures, the best I've found, and the price is reasonable. I suggest the VX TB30 if you want great AC30 tones.

On 8/30/2023 at 9:13 PM, soundog said:

If you want to have even more fun, definitely buy an Amalgam capture for your Tonex! Get one of the "Essential" packs rather than (DI + cab)  packs. He has some excellent Vox captures, the best I've found, and the price is reasonable. I suggest the VX TB30 if you want great AC30 tones.

OMG 100%!!

I did exactly that! I started with 5 amps. The VX TB30, Marshall JTM45, Hiwatt, Mesa Boogie Mark V, and the TRCK SSS. I took advantage of the buy 5 pay for 3 sale. So I added the SSS just to get it to 5. NOW that SSS is my favorite amp!! 

But I have to disagree about the DI captures. I think the DI with one of the supplied IR's is the best combination. I have the DI's for the AC30 and JTM45. I wish I had them for the other amps. I found that I could get the exact right amp-in-the-room feeling that way. I have to say its a bit shocking to me. I am shocked at how good the sound and feel is from the ToneX + Powercab combination. Sitting next to my PC is a Vox AC30 and when I play the real amp, you all know this, there's that sound and feel you get from it. You can just hear and feel the amp. The ToneX + Powercab gets like 98.5% of the way there maybe even a 100% if I'm not being too picky. I still blows my mind. But I would say I think the DI + IR's get the closest. The Amalgam captures are top tier captures. I think I'm about to get another 5 amps! I don't need another 5 amps....I can't help myself.

But you're right on....I'm having more fun now!!

• Upvote 1

If you follow the Amalgam thread on TGP you'll see that lots of folks like the full captures, and just as many prefer the DIs with IRs.

I'll eventually spend some more time with the DIs (I bought both where available), but currently the full captures are floating my boat.

Then I get back to the Helix amps and lose track of time...

It's all good!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/29/2023 at 5:15 PM, adagosto said:

Few things....

rd2rk is my hero!!

This ToneX really, really, really sounds good. I'm am very impressed. I'll give the Helix tone and feel an 8.0/10 and the ToneX a solid 9.0/10. It's well worth the modest investment. The Powercab is a great match and the FL FLat setting is perfect. The pairing really does sound like a tube amp in my room and its coming out of the Line PC!

I picked up a TC Electronics X3 so I could offload some effects (Mod/Del/Verbs) and use the Stomp's DSP or multi-amp, multi-cab presets. It works great. But with the ToneX, I'm off loading all the amp and cabs from the Stomp. I don't even need the X3 anymore!

So far I really dig all of the Fender models and the Marshall SuperLead 100 is awesome. I need to find a JTM45 now. But you are so right...I downloaded a free AC30 capture and I like it a lot more than the stock one in the box.

Thank you again. This is fun!!!

I'm a Tonex convert also.  Went from a helix floor, to helix floor with Tonex in the loop, to a Tonex and a TC Electronics X5.  I loved my helix but the Tonex with a good capture is just *chef's kiss*

• 7 months later...
On 4/7/2024 at 2:51 PM, Edpodgo said:

Guys,
In hx stomp you have to use two blocks (send and a return):
Send: instrument level
Return: line level
Do I need to compensate for some db in the return mix?

Not so. The ToneX Input and Output are both INSTRUMENT Level, so only one S/R Block required.

At first I was under the impression that the ToneX Ouput was LINE Level and I posted to that effect.

IK Support has confirmed that both Input and Output are INSTRUMENT Level .

I went back and tried to find and correct any posts I made but may not have found them all.

I did fix the post I made in this thread, but if you got your info from something I posted elsewhere, please link me to it so I can change it.

• Like 1