Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix Floor and Ableton Plugins (Help)

Rorion

Hello!

I have a HX Floor and Ableton with some killer plugins that deliver a very unique sound with guitar. I use creative plugins like Portal, Thermal and multiple soundtoys effects.

I really want to use these on my live guitar sound but still use the core sound from the floor.

In a perfect situation I would want to have this setup:

Guitar -> HX Floor ->Ableton -> Back into HX Floor -> FRFR speaker / PA

To make matters complicated, is it possible to also control via midi which plugin to use in Ableton?

I have some trouble wrapping my head around the step to take to achieve this. If someone can point me in the direction I can probably figure the rest out.

Thanks!

Here's a screenshot of a basic configuration using my HX Stomp (because that's what's on this PC, Floor is in the studio).

I've super simplified the settings for demo purposes, just replace the MIDI device with Helix Floor. 

Note the settings for the tracks.

MIDI enters via the MIDI track and is routed to the AUDIO track with plugins.

If using a FS for each plugin, set to CC TOGGLE 0/127.

If you're using Snapshots you'll need an IC for each plugin set to a simple MIDI CC - 127=ON;0=OFF.

SS1 is Plugin 1 OFF;Plugin 2 ON.

SS2 is Plugin 1 ON;Plugin 2 OFF.

The attached sample preset shows how to do that.

I'm using CC#s 111 and 112 as these are non-reserved CCs so they won't unintentionally trigger any reserved functions. That shouldn't be an issue, but I consider it "best practice".

Rorion.thumb.png.5d20399b158c48a9a7f2e2a393f22483.png

Rorion.hlx

I'd think the simplest way to do this would be to use a dedicated Ableton project probably in session mode with the effects loaded on different tracks and the Ableton output going to an audio interface to feed into the Helix input either man or return.  You would then use MIDI to enable the individual track with the effect you want.  You might be able to do this all through the USB interface on the Helix.  It's all theoretical however, I've never done it.