Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI Channel Switching - At A Loss...

wlaycook

Hey guys - been having some issues with my Helix MIDI channel switching recently that are making me want to pull my hair out.

I have a Marshall JVM 410H, and about four months ago, I followed the great guide here with respect to setting up Snapshots for channel switching while also switching effects from the Helix that feed into the amp (using the bank/program method). I followed the guide and everything worked perfectly (even gigged a few times with this setup and it was great).

Well, last week, I fired it up again at rehearsal and noticed that the MIDI communication wasn't "talking" to the amp (the Snapshots were switching between FX configurations within the preset accordingly, but the amp's channels were not switching).

After playing around with it for a few hours, I decided to do a factory reset on both my Helix, as well as a MIDI reset of the Marshall (where you hold down the clean channel while powering on). Tried the above method with a few new blank Helix preset. No luck at all. What's weird is that after powering the amp down overnight and back on in the morning today, it seemed to work briefly as intended but then after a few more times of cycling through the snapshots, it stopped again.

I'm really at a loss, as I've troubleshot seemingly everything. The only thing that has changed since it was last reliably working is that my amp tech rebiased the amp and replaced the preamp and power tubes with some new JJs. Amp sounds great, but really upset that the MIDI switching doesn't work. Have a gig in a week so would really appreciate any feedback.

Any ideas?

Thanks - I will try to send the preset when I get home.

I tried again this morning before heading to work, and all seemed to work fine. An interesting pattern that I've noticed is that the MIDI functionality seems to start acting erratically after I've had the amp on for several minutes / extended play. This matches with what happened at my rehearsal a few weeks ago. It's like the MIDI stops communicating after the JVM has been on for a while. I've posted over there to see if there are any thoughts.

Either way, I'm going to have my amp tech take a look as soon as he can.  

On 10/19/2023 at 6:21 PM, rd2rk said:

I need better glasses...

Hahaha, yup, we’re very old guys, but I got an eye test just last week and mine have no changes to my prescription. It’s great to know that at the wrong side of 70, I can still see my feet. ;-)