Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Reaper to control Snapshots

DaleLehman

I am trying to use Reaper to change snapshots so I don't have to tap dance while playing.  I found the following video on Youtube:  

But even after following the instructions, it does not work.  It is like the Helix is deaf to the MIDI commands.  I am using Reaper to record Guitar parts through Helix and also playback through Helix, but the MIDI commands for switching snapshots don't seem to get through.

In global settings:

Midi Base Channel: 1

MIDI Thru:  on (shouldn't matter)

MIDI over USB:  on

MIDI PC Receive:  USB

MIDI PC Send:  USB

Snapshot CC Send:  on

Is there a more detailed description of how to do this?   Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.  

Since I don't use Reaper I'm lost on his description of entering the values, but it's one of two things happening here.  You may not be sending MIDI like you think you are and that really depends on the configuration of your DAW in how those things get enabled.  Your best bet is to get you a MIDI monitor program that will allow you to capture the values being sent out from Reaper on you computer.  There are any number of these available for free downloads, but that will at least tell you whether or not the MIDI values are being actually sent.

The other problem is making sure that if they are being sent they are the correct values.  Here's a link to a very complete description of the PC and CC values need to be to do MIDI operations on the Helix.  It's a long read but it's worth it to understand how it all works.

Helix Help MIDI

Thanks DunedinDragon!  By using a MIDI monitor I could see that the MIDI commands were not leaving Reaper.  The problem was that I needed to route the Reaper channel to "Line 6 Helix".  

The next problem was that Reaper was sending the command every bar by default.  To solve this, I had to go into the "items property" and uncheck the "loop source" button.

Reaper is great and flexible, but sometimes it is difficult to configure . . .

I did not have to change the HELIX global settings.  The defaults worked fine.

• Upvote 1