Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any chance of a Variax Revstar standard someday?

Hi, all.  I am a long time Line 6 user and have been gigging with the Variax for a long time.  Had the 700, 500 (later transplanted), 600, JTV69 an right now im gigging with 3 of the JTV59s.  They have been central to my job for a long time and if they are gone im not sure what I would use if I cant keep my current stock going.  The closest thing I could get would be an OG Parker Fly and those are even more rare and parts harder to find lol.

I think many of us have noticed most of the Variax guitars are out of stock everywhere and Im not sure if they will ever be back but on the chance they will and if they are going to replace/discontinue the JTV 59 I really hope they will put the Variax guts into a Revstar guitar now that Yamaha owns it. 

They are great guitars and they look cool too.

I will be honest I do a lot of corporate parties and weddings and I cannot show up to a gig with a Shuriken.  

Anyway if anyone is listening and if these awesome guitars still have a future this has my vote especially if they do that sunset burst finish.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:59 AM, jealousblues said:

Hi, all.  I am a long time Line 6 user and have been gigging with the Variax for a long time.  Had the 700, 500 (later transplanted), 600, JTV69 an right now im gigging with 3 of the JTV59s.  They have been central to my job for a long time and if they are gone im not sure what I would use if I cant keep my current stock going.  The closest thing I could get would be an OG Parker Fly and those are even more rare and parts harder to find lol.

I think many of us have noticed most of the Variax guitars are out of stock everywhere and Im not sure if they will ever be back but on the chance they will and if they are going to replace/discontinue the JTV 59 I really hope they will put the Variax guts into a Revstar guitar now that Yamaha owns it. 

They are great guitars and they look cool too.

I will be honest I do a lot of corporate parties and weddings and I cannot show up to a gig with a Shuriken.  

Anyway if anyone is listening and if these awesome guitars still have a future this has my vote especially if they do that sunset burst finish.

All Variax models were officially consigned to the dustbin of history a couple of months ago. While it took some time for them to be formally discontinued and announced as such (see link below), it's basically been a dead platform for nearly a decade, as the last update of any significance was sometime back in 2014.

Whether or not there will be a successor is anybody's guess... but my money's on "no", as previous iterations, despite having a rather devoted cult following, never really caught on with the masses. Yours is a relatively uncommon situation when compared to much of the guitar playing community. Most guys are one trick ponies who gravitate towards a fairly narrow range of musical genres and tones, and they simply don't have the need or desire for a product like the Variax.

The guitars themselves are also notoriously finicky, and require a great deal of tweaking out of the gate to get usable sounds, which I  suspect turned a lot of people off if they weren't particularly tech-savvy, or willing to put the time in. There was also a huge disconnect between the marketing and reality for a lot of folks. As evidenced by the numerous threads on the topic, a lot of guys bought them thinking that a booming jumbo acoustic tone would come billowing forth from their Marshall 4x12 with the flick of a switch, because they were blithely unaware that typical guitar speakers simply lack the frequency response necessary to do that, and it would never happen no matter how many knobs they fiddled with... so they blamed the technology and the guitar, when the problem was the actually everything else BUT the guitar, lol. Collectively, it all adds up to a tough sell for Joe Average Guitar Player. Without significant demand for a new version, I'd say the odds are slim at best... there's just not enough money in it for L6 to bother. That's just my 2 cents, though...I have no inside knowledge one way or the other.