Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX One noise issue

dtwomey

I got my HX One yesterday and went to try it out last night. I have it set up in pre/post on my pedalboard. It all works as it should, but when I have the HX One in my signal chain it is adding terrible noise to some of my drive pedals - so much so that they are unusable. Using the noise gate on the HX One makes no difference and I am not sure how to remedy it. I took the HX One out of the chain again to check that it wasn't anything else causing interference and everything is fine. I would love to remedy this as I really like the HX One otherwise. If I can't fix the issue then I will have to return the HX One. Does anyone have any ideas as to help? Thanks

• Like 1

Exactly the same here ... wanted to make myself a x-mas present ... big disappointment. Running it in 4CM into a Bluguitar Amp1.

Crazy that Line6 did not remedy this for good (HX Effects had the prob back in 2019 or so ...). It needs to go back I am afraid. 

Any useful reply from Line6??? 

https://youtu.be/MvNk86m8VXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giKZXMwU0yc

• Like 1

Got the same problem chain is: guitar - HXone (pre) - Boss SD-1 - JCM800(cranked pre-amp) - Chorus - HXone (post) - dalay - return. 
I don't have the problem without the HXone so my quess is that the HXone's noise is just loud enough to get really fking noisy when going to a SD-1 and cranked JCM.

It would be nice if Line6 is responding to this problem :)

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of work-arounds for the HX One raising your overall noise floor (for me it was a lot of hiss, but if there's any other noise in your signal chain it'll make that more apparent, too) are to set it to True Bypass - so that it's out of the signal chain when it's off - or using the noise gate. 

Otherwise - as others have mentioned - having the HX One in your signal path before drive pedals really makes for a LOT of added noise. That was really problematic for me. 

Disclaimer: When I asked about this issue elsewhere, I had some people telling me their units were dead silent. I don't know if I should attribute that to everyone's hearing being different or manufacturing tolerances. I just know that in my case I was running an otherwise very noise-free setup (CIOKS DC7 power supply into a Fuhrman AC-215 power conditioner) and the HX One was the only thing adding noticeable noise to my rig).  

• 1 month later...

Some dirt pedals do not work properly with a buffered input signal. For example, I have two analog "amp-in-a-box" style distortion pedals (ZVex Distortron, Wampler Plexi Drive Mini) that either hum or hiss loudly when processing a buffered signal such as:

1) the bypassed output of the HX One when the Bypass Type parameter is set to "DSP Bypass" mode, and

2) from what I can tell, the effected output of the HX One (regardless of the Bypass Type setting).

I have only tested a few pedals, but for the record, the Fulltone OCD and the JHS Screamer seem to play nicely after the HX One pedal.

I have a few other pedals that include a buffer, some of which can be disabled via an internal DIP switch. The nature of the noisy interference differs depends on the type of buffer circuit used in any given pedal. Diagnosing these issues takes a lot of trial and error. I had to test a simplified signal chain (guitar -> HX One -> dirt pedal -> amp) to figure out the source of the interference.

So far, I am really happy with the HX One either at the end of my signal chain in front of the amp or next to the other digital time-modulating reverb and delay pedals in my effects loop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 9:47 AM, StratMat59 said:

Exactly the same here ... wanted to make myself a x-mas present ... big disappointment. Running it in 4CM into a Bluguitar Amp1.

Crazy that Line6 did not remedy this for good (HX Effects had the prob back in 2019 or so ...). It needs to go back I am afraid. 

Any useful reply from Line6??? 

https://youtu.be/MvNk86m8VXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giKZXMwU0yc

Same issue here when using it with my Bluguitar Amp1 Iridium Edition in the Classic or Vintage channel (no problems whatsoever, when using my HX Stomp).

Unfortunate, because I really want this to work as an ultra-compact Amp1 gigging-solution.

Line 6 replied the following:

Hi,
HX One cannot be compared with HX Effects, these are two completely different devices and the issue described is not the same there.

please try this with another setup (like another amp, no pedalboard, but HX One directly)

if you already got a 2nd HX One as replacement this is no hardware issue, so it seems to be an issue with this combination of devices. We have not seen similar issues with other setups. Unfortunately we don't  test HX One with Blu Guitar Amps and cannot tell if there are issues in such setups.

If you got a DI box you can also insert it in the signal path as a test

I will further investigate this issue and come back here, when I have found out more.

On 1/8/2024 at 5:46 PM, juecker said:

A couple of work-arounds for the HX One raising your overall noise floor (for me it was a lot of hiss, but if there's any other noise in your signal chain it'll make that more apparent, too) are to set it to True Bypass - so that it's out of the signal chain when it's off - or using the noise gate. 

Otherwise - as others have mentioned - having the HX One in your signal path before drive pedals really makes for a LOT of added noise. That was really problematic for me. 

Disclaimer: When I asked about this issue elsewhere, I had some people telling me their units were dead silent. I don't know if I should attribute that to everyone's hearing being different or manufacturing tolerances. I just know that in my case I was running an otherwise very noise-free setup (CIOKS DC7 power supply into a Fuhrman AC-215 power conditioner) and the HX One was the only thing adding noticeable noise to my rig).  

Setting it to true bypass doesn’t work with pre/post though 

On 2/25/2024 at 6:40 PM, slotek said:

Some dirt pedals do not work properly with a buffered input signal. For example, I have two analog "amp-in-a-box" style distortion pedals (ZVex Distortron, Wampler Plexi Drive Mini) that either hum or hiss loudly when processing a buffered signal such as:

1) the bypassed output of the HX One when the Bypass Type parameter is set to "DSP Bypass" mode, and

2) from what I can tell, the effected output of the HX One (regardless of the Bypass Type setting).

I have only tested a few pedals, but for the record, the Fulltone OCD and the JHS Screamer seem to play nicely after the HX One pedal.

I have a few other pedals that include a buffer, some of which can be disabled via an internal DIP switch. The nature of the noisy interference differs depends on the type of buffer circuit used in any given pedal. Diagnosing these issues takes a lot of trial and error. I had to test a simplified signal chain (guitar -> HX One -> dirt pedal -> amp) to figure out the source of the interference.

So far, I am really happy with the HX One either at the end of my signal chain in front of the amp or next to the other digital time-modulating reverb and delay pedals in my effects loop.

I have plenty of other buffers in the chain that don’t add this noise. It’s just the HX One that is awful 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi together,

I just got my HX One. 

I wanted to use it with my BluGuitar Amp1 as well, but I got a bunch of Problems:

- When connecting in 4 cable Method, and using True bypass Mode, my Amp1 Preamp gets bypassed, too. So its absolutely useless. In addition to that, it gets even more noisy when connecting in 4 cable method

- I noticed some „crackling“ noise in the Effects, especially when playing quiet or clean things

So far, it seems that its going back. Maybe some FW Updates will fix this?

Same here I'm afraid. Mine arrived yesterday. In front of amp it's very quiet. In the FX loop of my Rockerverb it's also quiet. 4CM using the HX One FX loop it adds an annoying level of hiss. I've messed around switching out cables and etc, it's definitely the HX One. The exact same setup with other pedals switched in in place of the HX One are silent. I'm using a CIOKS DC7 but I've also tried with the included power adapter. It's there in bypass and the gate doesn't deal with it. I've looked at the settings and there's nothing in the globals that affects the noise. It's not a deal breaker as I find using 4CM a pain live, but I was hoping it would work out for home use using the insert loop. I wonder if there's a batch that have this issue, or if simply that the users reporting quiet units aren't using the insert loop and 4CM.

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't that be caused by the ground loop?  Using a cable whose sleeve of one jack is open (unconnected) between the output of the (last) pedal in the loop and the return input of the amp may fix the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm interesting. It would have made sense for Line6 to put a ground lift switch in if this was the case, it must be a common problem as this is one of tbw advertised ways of using it?

So far as the multi-effect that allow both two- and four-cable methods, the ground lift switch should be necessary for the return connector of "either" the pedal (HX ONE) or the amplifier.

Also, more switches (mechanical parts) can cause more troubles.  I'm not sure if the ground looping is the culprit of the trouble in this thread, but a ground-lift switch would not be that  essential, so long as the problem can be solved by one cable whose shield is disconnected on one side.