Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume drifting up and down at live gigs (help)

Dkapprio

For the past few months the volume in my in-ears has been going up and down randomly at live shows. I've tried everything and finally deducted that its the Helix. I will literally be in the middle of a riff and my volume will skyrocket or drop significantly and its extremely irritating. I've changed all the cables, even my in-ears. wtf is happening, send help.

On 3/9/2024 at 5:28 PM, Dkapprio said:

For the past few months the volume in my in-ears has been going up and down randomly at live shows. I've tried everything and finally deducted that its the Helix. I will literally be in the middle of a riff and my volume will skyrocket or drop significantly and its extremely irritating. I've changed all the cables, even my in-ears. wtf is happening, send help.

Without more details, all anybody can do is guess. Does it happen only with one particular patch, or can it be any patch at any time? Is there a volume pedal block in the affected patch(es), or are you using an external expression pedal for anything? Aside from a volume pedal drifting one way or the other and needing to be recalibrated, I can't immediately think of what might be causing it. Is there anything specific that you do that will trigger the problem? Posting the affected patch(es) would allow someone else to download it and see if they can reproduce the same problem on their end.

Whatever it is, it's unlikely to be hardware related. If it's just one particular patch, then I'd say it probably got corrupted somehow... rebuild it from scratch in an empty slot and see what happens. Otherwise, as with pretty much any odd and unexplainable behavior, just about the only option you have as an end user is backing up everything and then doing a factory reset. May or may not help, but it certainly won't hurt. If that doesn't solve it, then it's time to open a service ticket.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It could be many things... 

On 3/9/2024 at 4:28 PM, Dkapprio said:

For the past few months the volume in my in-ears has been going up and down randomly at live shows. I've tried everything and finally deducted that its the Helix.

Have you worked with the sound tech about the problem? If the volume is changing in your "in-ears", then it's changing at the FOH as well, and in everyone else's mix. You would not be the only person to notice it. Is it your entire "in-ear mix" or just your "guitar" in the mix?

You are not saying how the in-ear mix is provided. If it's from FOH... if a tech is playing with your trim/gain control at the console, it is going to affect your mix. This can also happen with dedicated monitor boards that don't have proper isolation splits. 

On 3/9/2024 at 4:28 PM, Dkapprio said:

I will literally be in the middle of a riff and my volume will skyrocket or drop significantly and its extremely irritating.

Here is something I've learned the hard way many years ago. If you are using the volume pedal, remember it is light sensitive. If light is creeping into the the Helix it will affect volume.  I had the problem more with direct sunlight on festival stages, but I would think a venue with a bright light coming in from the wrong angle (periodically coming on/off) would also cause the problem. (note: I use an LT, I'm not sure if this problem exists with a full Helix or not).